Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Teenagers and car insurance?

Ok my friends with teenagers ~ can you help me out with an car insurance question ... does your vehicles insurance automatically go up if you have a 16 year old with a drivers license living in your home? Or does it only go up if you actually put them onto your vehicle as a 'permitted secondary driver'?

I have never had to deal with this as I left home before 16 so was late getting my license and my friends parents all permitted and encouraged them to get their license ... but to me if your kid is never allowed to drive your car than your insurance should not be affected but my stepson has been 'forbidden' to get his license by his stepmother because she does not want her insurance going up and that just does not seem right to me.

I am just trying to figure it out if we can support him getting his license without affecting her ~ going to call my insurance company tomorrow to see how it would affect ours if we let him drive when here ... but just wanted others experience in case it is 'company' specific how this is handled?

Thanks
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home... Serendipity's Avatar
    I am not sure how insurance works where you live but where I live here in the U.S, as soon as someone in the household gets their license, your insurance goes up. It doesn't matter if they drive your car or not. The cost increase for us though was very minimal.

When I was first with my now DH way back when....he had lost his license due to too many tickets and MY insurance went sky high. When I called my agent and asked why MY insurance was effected when we weren't even married yet, I was told it was because he lived in the same household so it mattered. It sucked because I had never even had a ticket for anything (still have never).

I am betting your stepson's mom is right but like I said, I am unsure of what the laws are where you live.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Serendipity For This Useful Post:

Thanks Serendipity .... a few of my FB friends responded to my question as well and they live in my province and currently have teenagers and with their insurance they had the option to have a policy that only covered persons over 25 years of age to drive the vehilce ... therefore their teenage children could get the license but were not able to drive the vehicle cause they would not be insured than if they wanted them insured than they could lift the all drives of vehicle must be over 25 provision and than 'add' the teenager to the policy as an occassional / secondary driver and pay the extra premium associated with that which is only like $30-40 a month as long as his record is 'clean' which we would pay on ours no problem so he could get experience driving and help to lower his premium when he is old enough to get his own ... just going to call to double check myself in the morning but am thinking my stepson should be able to get his license than without their permission or affecting their insurance ~ they just have to not 'add' him to the policy and ensure he does not drive their car.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    We just added our 17 year old daughter as a driver to our vehicles. Cost is around 40 more per month but she is fully insured to drive either of our cars. His first year of learning she was automatically covered under our insurance with no increase as we had to be in the car with her. It wasn't until she was full licensed to drive on her own did we get the increase. I am in Ontario too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to michellesmunchkins For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    The increase is generally cheaper if they take a driver's ed course too to start.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    The increase is generally cheaper if they take a driver's ed course too to start.
    Yes ~ I still get a 10% discount on mine for having taken drivers ed and that was over 12 years ago
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    From what I understand the person is insured not the vehicle so if you added him to your insurgence and paid the premiums he would also be insured on his moms vehicle .... My friend is divorced and her ex wanted her to pay a portion of his insurance that covered the child .... She refused..... Unless you can find a special policy (and I have not searched for one ) if he has a liscence but no vehicle of his own then yes your rates will go up. And significantly because he is male .... My daughter was able to be added as an occasional for $250 extra a year but son was significantly more.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Oh gosh, guess I better check into this again!!!!

I called my insurance company over a year ago when my daughter got her G1 to get her on our vehicles. My insurance didn't go up, they indicated all they needed was her drivers licence once she had her G2. I don't think I asked about what would happen when she got her license and then drove our vehicles. I inquired about the cost of insurance with us having 3 drivers and 3 vehicles and the cost was $1100 a year. We haven't put the 3rd vehicle on the road and never thought to inquire about the cost just to have 3 drivers with 2 vehicles.

Hubby is going on tour soon so we put the 3rd vehicle into storage for the year and a half and she is just going to use hubby's car. So we will still have 2 drivers and 2 cars, but the driver switches ... eeks.

$40 seems extreme to insure a teen on your vehicle when a teen can fully insure their own vehicle for under $100 (unless it a boy and then it is double). My daughter only uses the car to drive 10 minutes to school and back in the winter and then to cadets on Thursdays.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Euphoric !
    My son was quoted $4000 .... To insure his own vehicle and that's with drivers ed !

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Oiye Crayola kiddies!!! That is a lot of money! I'm sure my daughter's quote is fairly accurate because they had the car info and we've had it with minimal insurance and stored for the last 5 years. Could it be because my daughter's car is older? i think her car is an 04.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com