Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

When to tell parents about hour change

My hours right now are :
    7:30 to 5:30 (drop off 7:30 to 8:00, pick up 3:00 to 5:30)

In September my oldest will be starting school. His school is right across the street, but starts at 8:00am. I am planning on changing my hours to:
    7am to 5:00 (drop off between 7:00 and 7:40, or meet us at the school/wait for me to get back, drop off 3pm to 5pm.

I am thinking I should change the hours stating in June or July and make sure my son is up and ready for the day by 7:40 Mon to Fri to get use to it.

When should I tell the parents about the change?

Expansive...
    I would send a letter out 3 months before, have you also considered asking a neighbor who is a stay at home Mom that is going to the school everyday to take your little one. It may make you day less hectic?

That's what I do and it's a huge blessing.

Outgoing
    I cant see how the minor change would affect people too much. You are obviously willing to take all the kids to school with you. I think 30 days notice is more than enough, if you give too much notice they will just forget. i would do the 30 days and then a remind the week before and suggest that they start the new schedule that week just to get into the new routine. Just be sure to make sure that parents fully understand that if they dont arrive by a certain time that you will be leaving for school. When i did school runs parents used to arrive 2 minutes after my "set" time to leave and would wonder why I wasnt there LOL.

Euphoric !
    I would send out the notice in July. That is plenty of time for them to make changes if they intend to and time for you to advertise for Sept. Any earlier than that and they may make changes for the summer before even thinking about it.

My policy is 60 days notice to the 'contract' so changes to the hours would fall under that category ... I agree with the other ladies it is a very small change and hopefully everyone can accomodate that change ~ I made the same change a few years back only my hours are now 7:30 - 4:30 with an additional charge for care between 7-7:30am or 4:30-5pm and amazingly all my clients who use to send their kids here until after 5 were able to suddenly be here by 4:30 when it was going to cost them 'extra' to use such a long day so they obviously did not NEED that long a day it was just 'easier' to leave their children here that long rather than arrange shorter days between one parent dropping off and another picking up to stay within 9 hours
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I changed my hours as my clients changed and I now work 8am to 4:45 but my official hours are 7:30 to 5pm because those are the limits that I'm willing to work within. If you have to make the change in hours to be happy and healthy and take care of your own family then you have to do it. You will learn to accept only the clients who fall within your limits and not to let anybody push you into working hours that make your life miserable.

Do any of your current parents have hours outside 7:30-5? If not then go ahead and make the change with a few week's notice. If you are going to lose clients due to the change then give them a month's notice minimum. I hope it works out well so you are happier. I'm not a morning person at all so I know my limits!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

I have one client who once or twice a month is here until 6pm, but most days her mom picks her up between 3 and 4:30. She will be starting school in September. I am planning on tell her parents that if its only once or twice a month then I will keep their hours until 6pm. After the first two weeks and they excepted the fact I am the boss, they have been great. They even say thank you to me every day at pick up. So I don't mind working until 6 once or twice, but if they start picking up late more then that, I will replace them.

my before and after school kid get here between 2:30 and 2:45 and his dad picks up between 3pm and 4:30. Only once has he called to say he would not be here until 5:30. He also says thank you every day at pick up and if I have a cold he keeps his son home so I can rest. He keep him at home over the two week Christmas break, which was nice.

my newest one is the only one I am worried about. They pick up between 3pm and 5:30. Most days closer to 5:15. Their have been a few times she has texted me during quiet time to see if she could pick up. But mom is a hair dresser and on their 2nd day here was 41min late and though it would be ok, because she had a last min client come in. (I talked about it in another post). dad works until 5pm downtown. but he has shown up early a few times. So they just might surprise me and find away to make it work.

I have decided to change my hours now for all new clients and on July 2nd for all current clients. That way they and I can get use to the hours before school starts. I am not a morning person, so I need time to adjust, before the presser of school starts. I will let them know at the beginning of May so we all have time to find new daycare's/clients if needed.

Thank you all for your great advice.

My husband reminded me that the 20month old dcg usually doesn't show up until 8:15/8:30 so that might be a problem. Once I change my hours I don't want parents showing up after 7:40 unless they had an appointment or something. I am finding it hard with snack time when she shows up at these times.