Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Reasons why you've terminated?

Just curious, what are the reasons you have terminated care?

I'm going to do a termination tonight and feel terrible! I know it's for the best but can't get that feeling out of my stomach! The Mom is a real piece so I know there is going to be some drama. Uggh!

So what reasons have you had and how did you word them?

Outgoing
    I feel your anxiety. I have to do the same. My best advice is to state the facts without offering too much explanation. What I mean is dont feel as though you have to justify your decision by offering personal reasons. Keep it professional and businesslike. Remember if roles were reversed and they were terminating, your letter would probably say
    Dear Loulou
    After great consideration wer have decided that our current daycare arrangment is no longer working. We thank you for your care up to this point but as of Jan. 30th, we will no longer require your daycare services.

Just curious. What are your reasons for terminating?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gramma For This Useful Post:

My reasons are for consistently late payments
 (since October!), repeatedly late for pick-ups & lack of communication to provider (not telling me they are not coming/ what days they are coming). Really I feel I should be able to rely on the families I have in my care for consistent pay and to help create a daycare environment that is consistent. This family is always showing up at weird times without calling, is late for pick-up, late to pay, won't show. It's too hectic!

I just don't know if I should state the reasons or just give a generic reason about it no longer working.

Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    I just don't know if I should state the reasons or just give a generic reason about it no longer working.
    My advice is the more specific you can be (late payment on these dates) the better for you.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    Dear X

After serious consideration, I have determined that I will no longer be able to provide care for X.. There has been a consistant lack of communication and respect for policies especially with regard to payments and therefore I will be terminating our agreement effective on Jan XX 2013.

Regards,

Loulou

in this case, i think you need to briefly state the reasons given that they must be aware that they pay late etc. I just say that you need to avoid things like saying that the lack of communications causes you stress and that it affects your family finances and that sort of thing because if they respected you, they wouldnt pay late in the first place. good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gramma For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Dear parent
    I am writing to inform you that due to frequent late payments and a general air of disrespect towards myself and my business where policies are concern that I will no longer be providing daycare services for xxxxx effective jan xx 2013.

Regards, loulou

Outgoing
    Ive only ever terminated once and it was for consistent late payments.

Fortunately I have never had to terminate since working from home **knocks on wood**

However in centre care I had to terminate twice when I was in administrative role .... once for payment issues and another for extreme behavior of the child and having exhausted all resources to support the child within the program.

When it was fee related it was 'immediate' notice so the reason was clearly given because they forfeited their security deposit towards fees that were outstanding and remaining fees not covered by that were sent to collections so that was all outlined in the letter ~ they got a copy and a copy went in the file in the office.

The other family was kept short and sweet that unfortunately it was clear we were not a match for service and therefore care was ceasing immediately and their security deposit was refunded in lieu of 'notice period' we did not go in to 'details' as to why .... we just wanted the child GONE and did not want to have to deal with keeping him there two weeks cause the staff were at their wits ends and he was a risk to the other children unfortunately and we had had ever possible outside agency in to help and well the father was not following through at home ~ he was an aggressive man himself and the family was involved with CAS as a result ... we did not need 'details' in the termination letter because there was lots of documentation in other areas as to why and it was no 'surprise' to them they knew it was coming if there was not improvement seen.

Good luck with your notification ~ termination of service is never easy!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    I've terminated for non-payment, late payments, for lack of parent cooperation in resolving issues. I've had a family I terminated because the 10 year old son grabbed a knife (butter knife / mind you) and threatened to stab my daughter who at the time was in a highchair. I've had to terminate a family because their 9 month child only napped 45 minutes a day, I would work with the child Mon - Thu and get the child sleeping 2 hours by thur and then the child would return the Monday only sleeping 45 minutes again. I did this for almost 2 months and couldn't do it any longer, parents said it was just too hard to work on better sleeping routines on weekends. I've had to also terminate a family (this is after several several issues) that the Mom had a huge temper tantrum the son wasn't listening that she started throwing things across my daycare room, putting the children at risk. I've terminated because the parents didn't sign the contract revise before the alloted time and then got mad at me saying they just didn't have time to do it. I've also terminated a family because the 5 year old son would have BM 'accidents' during quiet time and instead of working with him in trying to curb the behaviour, each time he did it the parents would say 'oh, mean Nicole wouldn't let you go to the potty, I'll take you to McD's for supper. Of course the child was allowed to go to the bathroom, but choose not to, and continued to choose not to because he was rewarded when he didn't. Pulled the same stunt on the next caregiver too and she terminated for the same reason. The list goes on....

I have found when terminating families although it is best to provide details it is also best to keep things simple and sweet. By providing too much detail it can leave things open for interpretation and can sometimes comes back to bite you in the butt. I like Crayola Kiddies response. It's short, to the point, and doesn't give them any ammunition.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com