Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Daycare and animals

Hello everyone

i opened a daycare almost four years ago. When i was looking for kids when i first opened it took me a really long time finding kids. I had to change my hours and i ended up loosing a kids due to mom and dad couldnt change thier hours my problem ive been having is my animals. I have two very friendly dogs who have thier own space in the basement during daycare hours. So they arent around the kids at all. I thought of this when i first started that the dogs are going to be an issue. But dont want to get rid of them as they are a part of the family. I was suppose to have an interview today for a 21 month old but my mistake i didnt put that i have dogs in my ad. So when i caught the mistake i had email this family right away. They said they are allergic and they have to cancel. Im totally bummed about it. And feel like the dogs are holding me back from getting kids. My group of kids i have now have one more year with me then there off to school im scared that it will take a year again. Do any of you haveissues with animals and finding care?

Euphoric !
    I have a boxer dog .... He is great with kids and he loves to come outside with us and the kids throw the ball for him .... I do have in my ads that I have a dog and I've only had one family not call back after an interview and I'm sure it was because of the dog as a lot of the conversation centred around the dog instead of the daycare.... I was okay with the loss ! ; ). .... I have never had a problem getting families because of my dog.... That being said he is short haired and so there is no issue with hair every where. My newest family told me when they were interviewing other daycare one they went to had 2 dogs and 3 cats and there was hair everywhere.... She said there was no way she would send her kid there .... So I guess it depends on what kind of dogs you have and I would never get rid of my dogs for day care

I have it listed on my website (several times) that I have a cat. I have only had one family cancel because of my cat. I also put it on most of my adds and have a sign on the outside and inside of my cat asking : "Please don't let the cat out."
    I also have it in my contract:
    "Animals in the daycare
    There is a cat in the home Daycare at all times. I ask that you please don't let him out and respect the fact this is his home. He is vaccinated yearly. Please also keep in mine that although my cat is friendly he is still an animal and has the right to defend himself if he feels threaten."

I also make sure I mention the fact I have a cat in the interview. I have had 2 family's tell me that they are allergic during the interview.

Euphoric !
    Be sure you let parents know that you are taking precautions with the pets in terms of not allowing the pets free reign around the children and only allowing supervised interactions. Mention about keeping the yard cleaned up or restricting the dog to their own bathroom/run area not accessed by the kids - anything that eleviates the parents fears of dangers - even very friendly dogs bite when prevoked or feel threatened. There are more and more families with allergies. Often it is the parent and they are concerned their child might have one too or don't want to havea to deal with pet hair coming home on the child and setting off a reaction in the adult.

We had dogs up to 3 years ago and over the years I did lose some kids because of it but those were often the parents that were touchy, afraid of shadows harming their child and in the long run families that don't come because of your pets may be a good thing for your daycare.

Outgoing
    I have a lot of animals. 2 dogs, did have a cat but she died a month ago , frogs, 2 lizards...I have no issues getting families. All the families I have in care are of the same philosophy as me and love animals. Animals teach children a lot of things...kindness, empathy, how to co-exist with other things (be it animals of people). The families who don't want to come to your daycare because you have animals aren't families you'd want in care anyway.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fruitloop For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have one cat who comes to say hello to the children in the morning, then she stays out of the way all day and only comes into the room when the children are in their beds for naptime. I also list it on my website that I have a cat so that anybody with allergies doesn't waste their time. But I vacuum every morning before the children arrive so they don't get any cat hair on them.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Some parents dislike how large my dog is. He's a shepherd/husky mix. He's incredibly docile, and even submits to toddlers, rolling over and showing his belly. I normally get clients who have dogs at home or who are familiar with dogs.

I have had people tell me flat out that they were refusing care due to my dog's size, but I get as many parents telling me that they are happy that we have a dog, because they feel it is good for the kids to have a pet to play with and be near.

apples and bananas
    I have 2 small dogs. They have their own penned off spot in the kitchen on the same floor as the daycare. Sometimes they come out with the kids when I have a low number and I'm there to watch them.

I don't advertise that I have dogs. I let clients know when they come to the house. I think if I make it a big deal then someones going to think it's a big deal. I've never lost a client over the animals.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a very large yellow lab, a cat, 2 parrots. 2 guinea pigs and a hamster... I have never had any problems finding kids.

I have never had a problem with my animals and I have quite a few. most are outside..(farm animals) which the parents love the idea of..lots of fun for the kids to watch and help care for. I also have two dogs and a cat, had three dogs but one went to live on a bigger farm (needed more of a job ) I even have free roaming chickens and roosters in my yard where the children run and play, they love it and parents don't say a word! When they come to me they know where I am located (rural) and what to expect. When I get a call I always make sure that is one of my first questions for them....."do you have allergies to animals?" if so, this is not the right choice for you....my animals are my family. I alter a ton for the Day Care but the line is drawn at the effect of all members of the family...human or animal. Family comes first!