Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Administrator Starting to feel at home... admin's Avatar

Encouraging parents to come pick-up their children on time

Hi,

How do you encourage parents to come pick up their children on time?
    Do you charge fees if they are often late?

Euphoric !
    Things I have done in the past include:
    1) Charging a late fee after one warning and reminder of the rules.
    2) Calling the parent 10 minutes before pick up time to get an idea of where they are in the drive home - back when you could talk on the phone while driving.
    3) When the parent is 10 minutes late go for a walk so that I am not here at pick up time. That annoys a family to no end cause they just want to get home at the end of the day and start their evening - like I don't. We come back about 20 minutes later to a frantic parent sitting in the driveway and I casually explain that I had to drop something off to a friend that had to be done right after work and if they had picked up on time I could have kept my committment. Unfortunately I had to drag your child with me. Then when they protest about not letting them know just remind them that pick up time is pick up time and I am under no obligation to share with them my plans for after 5pm or whatever their time was. They however are obligated by the contract to call me if they are going to be late ( and remember I left 10 after the time so they had a chance to reach me) and they are obligated to pay late fees when they are late. My rates are different if there is a call and if there is no call.

Starting to feel at home...
    I had to institute a late fee, (if you cant be here on time, arrange for someone else to be otherwise there will be a late fee) however, ever since I set it out, no one has been late except for this past Friday, holiday weekend. The mom who was basically the whole reason I set up this late policy, said she had texted me at 5 when she was supposed to be here, to say she was held up in long weekend traffic and ask how late she could be to pick up her daughter or would I like her to have someone come and get her... I never got the text and she showed up at 5:45!!! I was NOT impressed to say the least, I just explained to her that I understand she has a long commute, and that she does not need ask if I want someone to pick up her daughter, I made it clear when I set up my late pick up policy, that this is precisely what it was for, especially on a long weekend whenyou KNOW you are going to be late, just send your back up... do you really think I want to keep working into my long weekend any more than you do? Anyhow... tangent... I guess that was her warning, I'll charge her next time.

Quote Originally Posted by lilac View Post
    I guess that was her warning, I'll charge her next time.
    You should have charged her THIS time.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I make it very clear that I value my family time and am not available to do even 1 min of over time.
    If potential daycare parents have any doubt whatsoever about being able to make it here on time I explain to them that this is not the right place for them.

I have never had anyone show up late.
    In the even it were to happen , my fees are $10 for the first 15 minutes , then $1 /min after that.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi,

How do you encourage parents to come pick up their children on time?
    Do you charge fees if they are often late?

You don't "encourage". You simply make the consequence so distasteful that they CHOSE to be on time. Just like children who must suffer consequences for their inconsideration so should parents.

So, here, I am VERY upfront that you WILL NOT BE LATE. PERIOD. The first time I will sock you with a $15 for every quarter hour or part of a quarter hour (which is a dollar a minute). The second time you will be charged the same rate AND receive a warning. The third time I terminate you.

So, the simple thing you need to convey to your dcparents is that being late will result in NO DAYCARE.

And yes, I really mean that.

ETA: In the past 5 years I have had only ONE late parent. And that really WAS an extenuating circumstance that I am not at liberty to divulge. BUT, even though it was clearly NOT her fault (and to be honest I felt pretty bad for her given the circumstances) she still came in and handed me a $20 bill for being ten minutes late.

Euphoric !
    I have it stated in my handbook that parents who are late will receive ONE verbal reminder. After that, they will be charged $10 per half hour, or portion thereof. And I think that's kind of generous. I had to warn one family that I could not continue care if they were not able to pick up their child on time. They got better, but let me tell you, I was not sorry to see them go when mom went on mat leave.
    10 HOURS, PEOPLE! You have 10 hours to come and get your child!! MY time, with MY family is no less valuable, just because I am in my own home. Take it seriously, PLEASE.

Yes, this is an area that bothers me, as well. Luckily I have a great set of parents currently, who are respectful of my time. I am willing to be a little more lenient with those type of people.

If a parent is late, they owe me money - exact cash for the next day of care. If they don't come with the money, they don't get care. PERIOD. If they can't accept that (and the contract that they signed) they're termed.

My policy is 5 minute grace period then $1/minute. After 20 minutes it becomes $5/minute. They're entering MY family time, and I will NOT be a happy camper. I've only had one late, and she's now gone as she had 2 other strikes! 3 strikes and you're termed in my daycare.
    Last edited by Play and Learn; 06-01-2011 at 09:15 PM.