Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Need some advice asap..having a rough go of it!

Hi ladies,
    I'm nearly 37 weeks pregnant...when I gave all my families the notice of my maternity leave months ago (September), I planned on working up until Jan 25 (39 weeks preggo). Well, now that I'm here, I'm having a really rough go of it! Up and down, up and down...extreme pelvic pain, back pain, exhaustion and limited patience, lol. I also have constant stinging braxton hicks contractions that really limits my activity. I'm beginning to feel like my progam is lacking and I HATE that!!!
    After yesterday and today, I'm seriously considering moving my close date up to the 18th. So, that's one week earlier than planned but it's also NEXT Friday. While my body is hurting, and I really want to stop, I feel horrible that my families will have to scramble to find care for that extra week with less than 2 weeks notice. I would have given them more notce of course, but even 2 weeks ago I felt great and thought I'd have no problem making it to the end. I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!! What do you think?! I know I have to makea decision TODAY to give them as much notice as possible if that's the way I decide to go...

Euphoric !
    Have you talked to any of them to know what their plan is for while you are off? It may very well be that the person they have for backup has a space open now and could start as soon as needed.

Is it possible that just a partial reduction will help as in asking anyone that can start making use of their back up plan to do so as soon as they can and then you will only have a few to deal with and hopefully non.

Do you know another mom at home such as on mat leave that might be able to come over and help out a bit each day and allow you to rest more.

At this point your parents won't be expecting full programming anyways so cut it back to watching videos and reading stories and doing whatever you can from the couch such as supervising lots of freeplay. Put away any toys that cause issues to make it easier to supervise.

Weigh the loss of income against having hubby take more time off if he can. Ask parents to pick up as early as possible. Anything that limits the day. Hire a highschool or college student to come after school and hang out to let you rest.

Forget what your mat leave plan is in terms of length but if parents are going to other homes while you are closed then almost for sure those homes have the space reserved so asking them to go now if they can is probably the best plan.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Lou

Expansive...
    My hubby just suggested sending out an email to the families trying to get a feel for it?? To see if it's possible/easy for them to move up the date?

Expansive...
    Awesome advice playfelt...thank you!!

apples and bananas
    You have to think, if you were working outside the home and you were having this much trouble would you stop early? Probably. You'd probably have your dr sign off on it if it wasn't something that you could just do based on your work situation.

You have to do what's best for you.

You could always get a feel for who can be with out you first. Maybe a lighter load would help? I know I hae a few families that are perfectly fine if I take a day off here and there and only 2 that really desperately need me.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Lou

I agree with Playfelt ~ it cannot hurt to ask them if they can help you out and if many can it might allow you to feel well enough with the lighter load to help those who cannot out for a little longer until your normal scheduled closure ... either way they should have a back up back up plan because well babies do not wait on 'due dates' and if you were to go early due to the extreme physical demands of this job there would be little you could do for them anyway!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Lou

Euphoric !
    Do you have your mom or mom in law that could come and help out for the last week or two ? If no then I would do as the other ladies have said ... Talk at pick up to the parents to see if it would cause great hardship to move up a week and I agree at this point there would be no programming just eat sleep a few toys and making sure they are safe, That's it..... Good luck

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with what the other ladies are saying here. My own babies never arrived on time, and I'm sure by this stage in the game your families have made their arrangements with other caregivers. If it were me, I'd send out an e-mail explaining where you're at, and seeing if it was possible for families to begin their care at the new provider's a week or so early. Take good care of yourself - the last few weeks of a pregnancy are just brutal - and good luck on D-day.

Expansive...
    Oh sweetie.....I hear ya! Worked until the bitter end with my second daughter! You really just have to do what is best for you. Honestly, none of my parents cared what I did with the kids as long as they were safe and fed. I spent half the day lying on the floor resting near the end, ha ha! Whatever you end up doing, do not worry at all about your program/ schedule etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwiper View Post
    .... Whatever you end up doing, do not worry at all about your program/ schedule etc.
    Well said ~ exactly!

It is the same as when we are 'under the weather' .... if we offer the parents the option of closing the program entirely so we can rest and feel better OR having a movie and pajama day with the kids while we rest and get better IME it would be pretty much ALL of them who would rather send their kids even if it is just for a 'boob tube laid back day' than to take the time off work themselves because their kid would likely end up spending the day in front of the boob tube at home while they tried to 'work from home' so they might as well be with you and they can work and everyone is 'happy' so to speak cause they are getting paid
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi