Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    Here is what my contract states:

I reserve the right to immediately terminate for the following reasons:

- Non-payment
    - Failure to abide by my policies as outlined by my handbook
    - Physical or verbal abuse of any person or property
    - If a child becomes a danger to the other children
    - Failure to complete required forms
    - False information given by parents either verbally or in writing

Do I have to have it in my contract that the deposit is forfeited by failure to follow policies? Because isn't that what the deposit is for? Lost wages in the event that they skip out, or in this case, in the event that I have to terminate immediately? The deposit is, essentially for the last two weeks care, but the reason that we secure it is to avoid losing wages in the event of abrupt termination of agreement. I just can't figure out if this is worthy.
    You have it clearly outlined right there and they have broken the contract by not paying on time and by verbal abuse (bad attitude and rudeness). Since they broke the contract I don't see how you owe them the return of the deposit. In my contract it says that the deposit MAY be applied to the last week of care if all conditions are met. In other words if the client has kept their part of the contract policies. That is not the case here.

However, if you can afford to refund the money to try to keep peace if they start to cause problems for you it might be best to be done with them quickly and quietly. Then, if I were you I would keep my ears and eyes open to make sure they aren't slandering you in any way because it sounds like they are a couple of immature idiots!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

I would let them go as well. BTW, just add this line to your contract:

Any monies paid will not be refunded for any reason should there be a termination of services by any party.

I like catch-all sentences in my contract. They are all encompassing and can be used for tricky situations like this one.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Did you give them the 2 weeks notice Alpha? How did that all go? I , too, would be incredibly uncomfortable with the Dad giving you the "oh so mature" silent treatment, and would want nothing more to do with it. Hope your next 2 weeks go smoothly!!

Freakin parents, I am beyond myself to see humans are like that.

I did have a situation with a parent who was mad at me tried to slam the door but its a patio door so I think it was not sliding well enough to slam... and ignored me afterwards... that didnt turn out good for him. My personality does not take ''intimidation'' to well, I can be verbally ''aggressive''. Treat me like durt ?? Get out of my house !!! Anyways, I didnt say anything but didnt do small talk for weeks. I kept saying to myself, 'I'll see how it goes this week and if not better, I'll terminate'. But so far, I just let it go. If they ever get back to me with questions to why the attitude, I'll come back to the situation. I know thats not the best, but thats how I am. I dont forget, nor forgive, easily. Now I just do little smiles, Hi and Bye :S

I am planning on giving notice today at pick up. Problem is, I can't decide which route I want to take...

Yesterday at pick up, Mom was so sweet to me, chatting away as if nothing happened, and then today, Dad did drop off, and same thing. Having said that, I still want to terminate. I didn't like the tantrums, and I don't want to put myself in the position of having to deal with that again should they decide that they don't like something else. Also, CONSTANT late payment. I can afford to be down one kid for a while, and he's part time, and I have a full timer starting in two weeks for another part time spot, so I wouldn't be down anything, wage wise.

So. I could send them the original notice that calls them out on their behaviour, but then there are bad feelings, and the possibility that they may badmouth me in our rather small town.

OR...I could tell them that I won't be giving them the special rate that I signed their son on with for their daughter who they want to start in 5 weeks. Therefore, they'll be paying $50 more for their daughter than they pay for their son. I don't think they will agree to this, as they cry poor all the time. It's a chicken's way out, but totally legit, as I haven't agreed to take on their daughter 100%, nor have we signed any contracts, etc.

Either way, two weeks notice goes out tonight.

Wow are you seriously willing to have two kids of theirs and risk having double the trouble ??? Payment wise you tolerated longer then I would have. I have three strikes for late payment but havent had to use them yet and frankly, I doubt I would tolerate it... Its payment on Friday of same week, no later. If trouble starts, its payment on Monday morning at drop-off or... no care until. Yah thats better then strikes

Wow ~ ya I would be reluctant to sign on the SIBLING at this rate and committing to another few years of having to deal with that!

I would definitely NOT be giving the sibling a DEAL considering they are a PITA ... if you are considering taking on the sibling than I would be doing new contracts for BOTH children at the NEW FEE and having that contract CLEARLY state that immediate termination and forfieting of security deposit will occur if there is ever a payment issue in future and that the code of conduct for behaviour, communication and conflict resolution's must be followed at all times ~ no way would a client throw money at me or slam my door or 'ignore me' in my own home and hope to continue in my program without a commitment that it would NEVER happen again!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

To bad we cant all work together ladies... we would have a tough daycare hahaha Bring those parents to us, we'll take care of them lol !!

Oh no...I have no intention of taking the sibling. They will not sign her at my normal rate.

Expansive...
    You'll feel a huge weight lifted off your shoulders! Hope it went well last night!