Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quiet/nap time

Starting to feel at home...

Quiet/nap time

Hello, I am new here and was just wondering what other providers do during quiet/nap time. I have a 3.5 year old who doesn't nap. I have been putting on a disney movie for her during nap time and that worked well for me. I was just informed by her mom now that she wants to limit screen time and would rather her have a half hour show and then quiet activities. The problem is #1 that it takes a couple of the other kids 45 min or so to go to sleep and one won't sleep without a show. and #2 any other quiet activity I create for her doesnt last long. She plays for 10-15 min then wants something else to do. And she isn't quiet. I keep having to shush her. What do I do in this situation?

Also this mom wants more outdoor time for her kids. I would love to do more myself but most days I have 3-4 3yr olds and a 17 mo, 14mo and 12mo. I'm not sure how one person can occupy all those kids in below 0 weather when everyone freaks out either while getting dressed or withing 15 min of being out. Advise and tips would be greatly appreciated. BTW...when it is nice out we spend most of our day outdoors. hurry up spring!!!

My quiet time policy is that EVERYONE lays down and rests for the first 60 minutes of quiet time ... this gives all the wee ones enough time to reach a full level of sleep so if after that time they have rested and not fallen asleep than they may get up and engage in quiet activities in the livingroom ~ if however they cannot be QUIET and ENGAGED in an activity once off their bed than they have to return to their bed to stay in a state of rest because the other children NEED their naps protected and I will not have a non napping child disrupting that!

I offer the TV on an education channel or a Jolly phonics or Einstein sing along DVD and sometimes the older ones bring a 'Disney movie' from home for quiet time OR they can do table activities as they wake up ... some children when they wake up from nap are still drowsy and just want to vegge on the couch for a bit longer before getting into activities and others want to come straight to whatever invitation at the quiet table I set up ~ I let them choose.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I had a former family that tried to tell me how to run my days and what they wanted their child to do or not to do and when they told me they wanted me to change my illness policy to read a certain way I told them when they opened their own daycare they found word their policy like that but mine was staying the way it was. Every child in my daycare has quiet time regardless of age. I would put this child on a cot or nap mat and tell her she is required to stay there till I come back. If she chooses not to sleep that is her perogitave but she must stay there and stay quiet. Every child needs to rest even if they don't sleep and you need a break ....I also have zero tv time in my day home so that would not be an option for any child. I would tell the parent you go outside when it is above -10 as you have some non walkers who get too cold from just sitting there. But that is your discretion not hers. I am assuming you have a routine you follow and if the parent doesn't like that routine then I am sure she will be able to fine another day home that would suit her needs better. .... NEXT....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shannie View Post
    .....and one won't sleep without a show....
    To clarify are you saying the child will not fall asleep unless it is in front of the TV?

If so I would so be nipping that habit in the bud ASAP because of all the developing healthy sleep habits and research I have read that is the WORST habit to create specially in a child ~ it can create long term health problems as falling asleep to the 'moving images of a TV' can impede the healing restoration that sleep is suppose to provide for the brain Ideally there should be NO electronic waves in the room where you are sleeping ... even turned off your TV emits low level radiation waves that can impact REM sleep!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Shannie, all of the children are expected to lay on their beds in the dark at my daycare no matter what their age. I even have my grandson on PD days and he's 5 1/2 and he lays on his bed when all the others lay down. He plays his DS for close to 45 minutes and then puts it down and sleeps for the last hour but he never has naps at school of course. If children know what you expect from them then they will co-operate with you.

You are making the rules and when you say they won't sleep without a show, I'm sorry, but it's up to you to tell them, no show! Lay them down, tell them to relax and close their eyes, make sure it is quite dark (blackout curtains are worth the money) and sit close by to moniter the situation until they learn it's your way with no other option. LUCK!

As far as going outside, we are out about every other day in the winter, sometimes only a day or two. Sometimes we are inside a lot in the summer too due to very high humidity but I try to take the children out really early and get back inside by 10-11am before the UV rays are high.

It's so much easier in the summer without all the winter gear. My contract states that parents must agree that I will use my best judgement to decide if it is safe to take their children outside if wind chill is below -10C or above 35C with humidity. I think you need to tell this dcparent that you are using YOUR best judgement and keeping the children SAFE!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home...
    So, another question related to quiet time. What do you do if the parent doesn't want their child to nap? Hence all the activities I'm trying to keep her busy doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannie View Post
    So, another question related to quiet time. What do you do if the parent doesn't want their child to nap? Hence all the activities I'm trying to keep her busy doing.
    Quiet time is not an option here and is a child falls asleep during quiet time it is because they NEED a nap still ...plain and simple I cannot force them to stay a wake so if you don't want your kid to rest their body and nap if needed than you've outgrown my program
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I lay it out right at the intake interview....there will ALWAYS be a nap/quiet time. Even for 8 yr olds I've had in the past, there's quiet time. For the older kids, it was a movie. If kids fall asleep during the quiet time, then obviously they need the sleep. Typically, parents only want providers to eliminate/reduce naps because they're having trouble putting them down at night. IMO, that's not my issue and they will need to alter their strategies at home. I'm not adjusting an entire daycare's schedule to suit one family.

And let's face it, we work long, hard hours and have to be on our game all the time. We all need a break too

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Exactly Cfred - and those issues at night time are rarely about having had a nap and therefore not being tired and more about sleep time resistence behaviours where a kid is stalling and forcing themselves to stay awake because they do not want to miss whatever is going on with rest of family!

That is a problem from home and the solution is at home - it's got nothing to do with daycare!
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Yup napping/quiet time is not optional in my daycare either.... If a parent doesn't want their child to nap/rest then they are not a match for my program.