Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing

Snowsuits---help!

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering what you all do to make the transition to outdoors easier this time of year. I have 3 daycare children and a baby of my own - all under 28 months and getting dressed to go outdoors is RIDICULOUS!! It took us over half hour to get ready today and I kid you not I was sweating by the time the babies were all geared up. Any secrets to share?

Thanks!

no secrets here really...it is a ton of work no matter how you slice it...that being said, once a child nears the age of two I stress deeply with the parents and training them how to do things by themselves, bu the age of 2 a child should be able to aid in getting dressed, put on snowpants, you zip...flip coat over head, you zip...have them put on their own hat and pick out mittens attempt own boots a few times before you help. I always have the older ones get dressed and out on the front porch out of the way, them I get myslef ready. a lot of times depanding the size of the group, I will also tell the older ones to use the toilet and wash hands while I am getting the little ones ready. Always dress yourself last, that way you don't have a heat stroke before getting out the door. ha

snow pants on everyone first, then boots, coats, hats and mitts, then me. I am like a drill sargent LOL with no time to waste as the kids get warmer and warmer the longer it takes. Don't need the whining thank you

Starting to feel at home...
    Same here. Getting 6 ready to go to pick my son up from school takes forever. I have tried a few different ways including all kidlove's suggestions and have come to the conclusion that it just take a long time!! Lol. But, for sure, do yourself last.

Starting to feel at home...
    I only have 3 to get ready most days but once one is dressed s/he sits by the door and does not move til everyone is ready. The youngest is dressed last and she sits with the other 2 while I get ready! It's great when the older ones set a good example for the little ones!

Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    snow pants on everyone first, then boots, coats, hats and mitts, then me.....
    This is me as well ~ we get ready together in stages ... I get all their stuff together during snack and than we come to the foyer and everyone gets snowpants ~ from infancy children are taught to 'find your feet' to get them to help getting them on themselves, than coats we do the flip flop over the top trick to get them on themselves and I zip up, than hats, scarves, mitts and boots get lines up against the wall and once they are 'walking' than they wiggle wiggle squish their foot in while holding the wall for balance and I do the tucking in of mitts and zippers and pants over boots for each kid in an assembly line ~ they sit on the step while I quick get dressed and we go out .... it usually takes us about 15 minutes tops to get out the door with all 5 children here ~ I get them doing most of the work themselves ~ the older ones are encouraged to help the younger ones if they are fast and they like to be the 'helper' so it works!

I also have lots of chance to practice dressing skills at other times of the day ~ diapering and dress up and so forth so that the wee ones learn to 'help' do it themselves than as well in a non rushed relaxed time which makes winter dressing easier.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    I teach them to dress themselves as much as possible shortly after 2, so it's not too bad. They can put on snowpants, and for jackets I lie them out and if the child stands where the head of the jacket is, they lean over, put their arms in and do "up and over". It's a game and they all love putting on their jackets.
    I also see it as 15, 20 minutes....however long of time passed! It fills the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by gcj View Post
    .... for jackets I lie them out and if the child stands where the head of the jacket is, they lean over, put their arms in and do "up and over". It's a game and they all love putting on their jackets....
    LOL ~ yup this is what we call the 'flip flop over the top' trick here and my last one had mastered it by 14 months ~ his mom was shocked the one morning when she said it was time to go to daycare and he went and flipped his coat on with a big smile and started trying to put his boots on by lining them up at the door .... when given the resources and encouragement to succeed children are truly capable beings who 'want' to do things for themselves and be seen as big or capable.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    Oh-I definitely dress myself last! I was sweating because of all the dressing of the kiddos. Well, thanks for all the suggestions. I only have one child that is over two- so I think that it is just going to take a while for now!

Euphoric !
    All my dckids are under 3 right now so I change all the diapers and we do the potty thing and then I put on all the snowpants, then I go back and put on all the coats, then we do hats and mitts last and I dress myself last as well.

It isn't fun, that's for sure! It takes a lot of time. So I encourage the parents to teach their children to put on and take off their own boots and hats and then we start working on unzipping coats. It takes months of learning for children to master these accomplishments so best to start them young. I find they aren't able to put on coats until they are over 3 unless they are gifted.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.