Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Contract length

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Hum, so does the legnth/term of your contract depend on the area you live in and how difficult it is for you (the caregiver) to terminate a contract?

For example, my contract is indefinite and both the parent or I only need 3 weeks to terminate the contract.

I agree that if you are unable to break a contract that even a 3 month contract would be very difficult if things are not going well with the family. It is also a long time to provide childcare for a family if there are payment issues as well. I have a friend who is now on her 10th week of providing childcare with no fees being paid by the parent!
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Euphoric !
    Nicole, wouldn`t the fact the parent missed the second payment be them breaching the contract making it null and void from a legal standpoint. The first payment period ok they are considered late but after the second payment passes I would sure be questioning the legality of having to still provide care with basically no contract in effect. I know some places have the strangest rules and so glad we live on this side and not that one.

Expansive...
    I have in my contract that I can tminate ms of the contract are not met. Non payment would be cause for termination.

I can't believe that providers would still give care if there is a non payment situation. Wow. wouldn't they just be able to say that they are hereby giving notice and give and end date dependant on whether they have a 1 week or 2 week deposit left with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post
    I would rather have a little bit less security than to be stuck in a bad situation with no way out( late pick ups , late payments, etc)
    Besides, where I reside ,the parent can walk away and give me zero notice at any time. The only fee they have to pay is what ever is 50$ max or what they had left owing for the length of the contracts as long as it is under 50 $.
    But in the even that I want to terminate a contract it is virtually impossible and can take months.

I usually get them to sign the new contract a week before the old one expired.

For example: I recently decided not to renew a 3 month contract as a result of many late payments and other breaches of the contract. When I told the parent I was not renewing she had 2 weeks notice. If that contract had been for 6 moths or a year, I would of had to wait it out !
    I'm missing something because I don't understand. WHY do you have to keep a client you don't what (for whatever reason) until the end of the contract?? The minute they pay late or pick up late they have breached the contract which makes it null and void if you so chose so you can terminate them.

Besides, it's YOUR business so you can terminate them whenever you want anyway.

Please explain......

Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    I have in my contract that I can tminate ms of the contract are not met. Non payment would be cause for termination.

I can't believe that providers would still give care if there is a non payment situation. Wow. wouldn't they just be able to say that they are hereby giving notice and give and end date dependant on whether they have a 1 week or 2 week deposit left with you?
    Me too. NO PAY - NO STAY. Period.

I do NOT accept late or non-payment. I do NOT accept tardy pick ups. Honestly, if you don't follow the contract that you signed to a 'T' then I terminate you. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tot-Time View Post

I have a friend who is now on her 10th week of providing childcare with no fees being paid by the parent!

Why isn't she getting paid in ADVANCE for care?? Never work for free or risk working for free. Parents should be paying in advance for care. NO PAY - NO STAY.

ALL my parents pay Monday morning for that week. If you don't bring your payment in you can't leave your child. I NEVER work for free. Many providers also get paid Friday for the NEXT week of care to ensure they never work for free.

WHY is she allowing this to happen to her? Why is she allowing them in day after day???

Euphoric !
    That is the joys of making our own contracts I guess. I have several clauses in mine that allow termination including termination without notice for several offences and have actually had to invoke that clause once so glad it was there. My contract specifically says after daycare fees plus late fees are in arrears it is taken as notice of termination. Also if fees from previous week are not paid in cash by drop off on Monday child doesn`t stay or come back till they are. With the termination clause invoked as of that Friday. Really sad when we have to literally give threats to get paid.

Like Judy, my manual is about 10 pages long, and is pretty detailed. Most families that have came for an interview didn't have many questions to ask, because most things are in my manual. Working in a daycare center helped me decide what to put in it.

I renew the contract at the end of June as that is when my parents technically end for the 'year' as I take teachers children.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post
    I'm missing something because I don't understand. WHY do you have to keep a client you don't what (for whatever reason) until the end of the contract?? The minute they pay late or pick up late they have breached the contract which makes it null and void if you so chose so you can terminate them.

Besides, it's YOUR business so you can terminate them whenever you want anyway.

Please explain......

I live on the Quebec side and am a subsidized daycare. So in reality I have certain procedures to follow. Even if someone pays late,arrives late at pick up I have to give them notice after notice.. keep written proof that I did everything I could to resolve the issue. Even then, if I choose to terminate them they have every right to go and make a complaint, whcih means an investigation into the issue from my head office. Not to mention the fact that they can call consumer protection over here and take me to court. Maybe they would not win but I don't have time for that kind thing.
    So .... one month contracts protect me from being in a being in a very uncomfortable predicament !
    Sometimes I miss the days when I was a "private" daycare !!!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post
    I live on the Quebec side and am a subsidized daycare. So in reality I have certain procedures to follow. Even if someone pays late,arrives late at pick up I have to give them notice after notice.. keep written proof that I did everything I could to resolve the issue. Even then, if I choose to terminate them they have every right to go and make a complaint, whcih means an investigation into the issue from my head office. Not to mention the fact that they can call consumer protection over here and take me to court. Maybe they would not win but I don't have time for that kind thing.
    So .... one month contracts protect me from being in a being in a very uncomfortable predicament !
    Sometimes I miss the days when I was a "private" daycare !!!!
    I find it hard to believe that they can require you to work without pay or pick up late. Does your contract not state open hours or payment policy? I don't understand how it's permissible for them to BREACH the contract and have no repercussions. I understand you are licensed, and that's how you have subsidy available, but there still has to be protection for you. How many notices until you can take action?

ETA: I hope you don't think I'm second-guessing you here...you know your business certainly better than I do. I'm just floored that you could be so backed into a corner.
    Last edited by Emilys4Guppies; 05-27-2011 at 08:49 AM.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~