Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Contract length

Administrator Starting to feel at home... admin's Avatar

Contract length

Hi,

How long are your contracts? Do you work on a yearly basis or do you use something shorter?

Outgoing
    I generally do yearly (end of August to end of June, since that's my year), but when starting out with a new family, it's always 3 months, just to give myself an "out" if I need it!

Euphoric !
    My contract once signed stays in effect as long as the family is in care. There is a clause in there that allows me to make changes and update with notice. I do not raise rates for families already in care. Only in rare circumstances do I impose new rules on old clients. There is something about sticking with me that deserves to be rewarded.

Outgoing
    My contract is renewed yearly. I give them out Dec. 1 and I give them 2 weeks to go through it, sign and return. If it's not returned by the dste given then I assume they no longer want care and their spot is open for someone else.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I do one month contracts for the first 6 months. If there are no incidents, I move on to 3 month contracts.Never any longer than that though.

If there are any insidents of any kind I keep doing one month contracts.
    So far this has always worked well for me .

Euphoric !
    Like Playfelt, my contract does not have a time limit. The just have to give one month's notice if they want to take their child out. I do renew it yearly and have reserved the right to raise rates yearly. I have just started, so I don't think I will raise anyone's rates the first year, but may the year after. I think it is fair since the cost of living rises. Agencies raise their rates regularly as well.

Euphoric !
    For those that do short term contracts what kind of security does that give you if the family can walk away constantly with no notice as in just not sign the new contract. How far in advance do you get them to sign for the next month/term?

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    My contract has no termination date.

It has taken me 17 yrs of home daycare to get the contract that I like and that works for me. So now I barely make changes and therefore if something does happen, I just make an ammendment. I have only had to make an amendment once in the last few years.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

My contract is 9 pages long. I leave nothing up for interpretation.

Every contract expires on Dec 31st of each year. I hand out new contracts every November to be returned by a predestined date in December. I do this every year because I also raise my fees every single year. And I make it clear that if you do not return the contract by the preset December return date your spot will be filled. This implies that the contract is not negotiable nor are the fees.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    For those that do short term contracts what kind of security does that give you if the family can walk away constantly with no notice as in just not sign the new contract. How far in advance do you get them to sign for the next month/term?
    I would rather have a little bit less security than to be stuck in a bad situation with no way out( late pick ups , late payments, etc)
    Besides, where I reside ,the parent can walk away and give me zero notice at any time. The only fee they have to pay is what ever is 50$ max or what they had left owing for the length of the contracts as long as it is under 50 $.
    But in the even that I want to terminate a contract it is virtually impossible and can take months.

I usually get them to sign the new contract a week before the old one expired.

For example: I recently decided not to renew a 3 month contract as a result of many late payments and other breaches of the contract. When I told the parent I was not renewing she had 2 weeks notice. If that contract had been for 6 moths or a year, I would of had to wait it out !
    Last edited by Sunflower; 05-26-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added some info