Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Contract length

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilys4Guppies View Post
    I find it hard to believe that they can require you to work without pay or pick up late. Does your contract not state open hours or payment policy? I don't understand how it's permissible for them to BREACH the contract and have no repercussions. I understand you are licensed, and that's how you have subsidy available, but there still has to be protection for you. How many notices until you can take action?

ETA: I hope you don't think I'm second-guessing you here...you know your business certainly better than I do. I'm just floored that you could be so backed into a corner.
    No worries lol... I know it sounds unbelievable. I have never had to be in this situation myself but know people who have . I have been told straight from the office that I report to that my only protection is short contracts.
    I have read all the legal government documentation and there are no clear procedure as to how many wanings need to be given etc.

It's really up to head office and who they get on the line when they call consumer protection to make a complaint.
    Needless to say this scares many of us into putting up with crazy things. Without going into detail I must say I personally do NOT put up with nonsense like non payments.
    just wanted to add that some parents DO pay but it is late each time . To me this is also not acceptable.
    Last edited by Sunflower; 05-27-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added more info

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower View Post
    just wanted to add that some parents DO pay but it is late each time . To me this is also not acceptable.
    Sunflower forgot to tell you that those parents (not going to say bad things about them here but I'm sure you'll all think bad things about them - just like I do!!!!!) are paying 7$ a day so 35$ a week for daycare. AND THEY FIND THE WAY TO BE LATE FOR PAYMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! )))))))))))))))))))) )))))))

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi,

How long are your contracts? Do you work on a yearly basis or do you use something shorter?

I do not have written contracts..verbal only. I ask for and give 2 weeks notice if anyone wants to leave or if I want to turf them out...I have only had to turf 2 families in the 29 years I have been doing daycare. I give my parents 2 weeks vacation free and they do not have to pay when I am on vacation, as they will have to pay someone else if they do not have the same vacation time as me. I only take 1 or 2 weeks vacation every year (none this year yet) so I budget accordingly.

Shy
    This is exactly why I have never in 29 years signed up for any government or daycare agency. I tried the government once and they had such stringent restrictions it was ridiculous..they wanted me to fence off my pool. Fire inspections, police checks, health department checks, the list went on and on...I decided to stay private all these years.