Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

How do you handle termination notice?

I will be terminating a family in my care soon. I have already filled the spot for beginning of April. I am terminating because its a very early start in the morning and I'm finding that its too long a day for me as the rest of the kids start an hour and a half later in the morning and this child is the last to go home as well. Most of my kids are gone by 4 and this one is here by herslef for another hour and a half in the evening. I feel bad because I took it on and knew it would be hard but didnt realize the effect it would have on my and the family. I have a teenage daughter who get woken up much earlier than she needs to because of the noise, my hubby has to get up earlier as well and i'm just tired all day. There have been a few minor issues with the mom not being respectful but thats not my reason for terminating. I'm not sure when to tell them. I dont want to lose the income (selfish I know) but I also want to give them a bit of extra time because i suspect they may have a hard time finding somone for the early day.

Also, just to throw a wrench into this, i am on vacay for 10 days starting end of February. Do I tell them just before I go? This would give them 5 or so weeks to find something.

My other question is do you tell clients verbally or email, telephone or a letter in the diaper bag? Its been a really long time since I've done this and the few times that I have there was also a major issue or disagreement so it wasnt totally unexpected. This will be a shock to them. Im fairly certain that mom will be pissed and probably say some things that will make me want to tell her not to bother coming back.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Euphoric !
    I would be inclined to tell them in person and in the nicest way possible. reinforced with an official letter of termination. I would also do it before vacation. It gives them a nice chunk of time to find something else and, IMO, shows kindness and consideration on your part.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree ..... You should definitely do it in person .... Make yourself a point form list of what you want to say and also do a letter in writing for their records and keep one for yourself. Let her know your giving her more then the required notice as stated in your policy book so she has time to find alternate care.

My contract stats I would give two weeks notice. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't give some family's more notice. if you feel that you can afford the loss of income if they decide to leave early, then tell them before your vacation, if not give them want ever notice your contract stats you will give.

I would give then a letter and speak with them in person.

Outgoing
    I agree in person is the best, i'm just worried about her reaction. she has a 'way' about her and I dont want to hate the last few weeks. I had a family years ago that decided to terminate our agreement because I booked a week off and it wasnt convenient for them. She gave 3 weeks notice but was a miserable B**ch the whole time. Id like to avoid that however I'm older and wiser and would just tell her not to come back.

Euphoric !
    When you come back from vacation might also give you a reason as in you realized while you were away that the long daycare day was contributing to neither you nor your family being happy and you have decided that as of (give a month notice) to reduce your daycare hours to XXX to XXX. Since you realize the family won't be able to fit within these guidelines you will understand if she needs to give termination. Then the timeframe is up to her and your contract.

As others have found once leave or change hours option has been given some families manage to work within the new guidelines.

I agree with Cfred ~ I would give notice the same way I would expect to receive it from any client leaving care .... tell me in person with the written notice for my records and with as much notice as possible to make alternative arrangements.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I think you are being very generous since my contract states 2 weeks notice as well as some of the others mentioned. Confrontation is never easy but you have to stress that it's a business decision for the good of your family and your health and nothing personal at all. Good luck.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Expansive...
    I completely agree it needs to be in person followed by a formal letter. I would do it just before your vacation as it gives them adequate time to find alternative care.

Remember this business is smaller than you think and we must always handle every situation as professionally as possible.

Good luck!