Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Potty Training Woes

Hey Ladies,

I am currently potty training my son who will be two on Feb 14. He has been asking to use the potty for his bm's for a while now, and it is a constant fight to get him into a diaper, so I figured I would start potty training him this weekend as I was sick of the fights.
    Anyways, I am currently using the thick underwear to train him, the problem is he keeps taking off the underwear to be "naked boy" (as he likes to call himself). Obviously, this can not fly during daycare hours, as he still has pee accidents; however, I am at a loss on how to keep the underwear on him. Putting pants on doesn't help as he will just take those off too.
    Any tips on how to get him to stay in his underwear?

"Duck Tape" lol...just joking.
    how about suspenders (i hope i spelled that right) or overalls (even up on backwards, so he can't undo them) he might look funny, but he will keep his pants on.

my one year old likes to take his pants off, so I put him in a onsie and do it up over his pants.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    "Duck Tape" lol...just joking.
    how about suspenders (i hope i spelled that right) or overalls (even up on backwards, so he can't undo them) he might look funny, but he will keep his pants on.

my one year old likes to take his pants off, so I put him in a onsie and do it up over his pants.
    Ah...too funny - you have to love little boys....I like the idea of overalls - I did that with my oldest boy who was (and still is) happiest when nude, but it does make it tricky to get pants off quickly when speed is of the essence. I would just explain to your families that you are potty training and hopefully everyone has a healthy attitude to a little bit of nakedness - let's face it, when you're potty training their little ones their bare back sides will likely be seen during daycare hours - the children's not their parents.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Monday 2 Friday Mama For This Useful Post:

I agree with M2FM. Bare bottoms aren't an issue in my house. Potty Training is hard work and very time consuming constantly watching the individual who is training. I would just be reminding him more frequently/requesting him to take a potty break during playtime to reduce the frequency of accidents. To make it harder for him to remove his underwear could back fire and make him have more accidents as when he needs to go he may not be able to remove them quick enough.

Koodos to you for being able to train a boy this age.If you still don't want him bare bottom and If he was a little older, and obviously I dont know his level of communication skills and how much he really understands when you talk to him, I would take him out and let him pick his own underwear and explain that he has to keep these on while the other kids are in the house. I would talk about it and answer his questions of "why?" until he understood. Maybe even offer him a reward system like stickers for keeping them on and tell him if he keeps them on he can reach into the mystery bag(pillowcase?)and the end of each day to pick a suprise pair for the next day. He might find this exciting and you could make it into a game and make a big fuss of the underwear.

Those are my suggestions and good luck

Outgoing
    Thanks for the ideas ladies. I just might do as you suggested bright sparks about a reward for keeping them on. I personally don't care if my son goes naked, but for the sake of containing any accidents, I just think wearing underwear during daycare hours is essential. I also don't want to be presenting a double standard to the clients when I expect their child to wear underwear with plastic pants or pull ups. He is almost there with telling me before he pees, and we haven't had a bm accident at all, so we are doing well. I think by the time the month is done, he will be pretty much trained, if he keeps going the way he is. He has excellent verbal and comprehension skills, so I'm sure I can convince him to keep them on during daycare hours if I have a reward for him at the end of the day. Thanks everyone.

Expansive...
    You could take him to the store tonight to pick iron on patches for his thicker training pants. He may want to wear them then. I used smarties for my daughter and it worked like a charm.

I had a few Mom's on this sight give me a lot of grief for using sugar treats but it's not like it was long term. PLUS it worked for us and my DD was trained in 5 days.

So please ladies on this issue keep any negative comments to yourselves.

I agree that if you are trying to train him than making the clothes harder to get off will impede that goal as he needs to be able to get quick access if he needs to pee or poo.

Personally I would stick with the clear expectation that while it is ok to be naked in private that in the face of 'company' being naked is not an option ... so if you want to be naked you have to stay in your bedroom in bed during daycare hours cause it is not 'private' outside your bedroom when mama is working and if you want to be with the daycare and doing daycare things than you stay CLOTHED ... simple natural consequence to the expectation here is where you can be naked and here is where you are expected to be clothed ~ without punishment or reward.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi