Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I STILL have carpet in my main play area for the children, and I HATE it! I know it poses a much more "soft" area for play but it gets absolutely disgusting very quick when you have 1 or more babies spitting up and drooling on it all day long. I know laminate and hard wood can run more expensive than the average carpet, if money is a factor for you right now (as it is for me) then maybe you should take the option of a cheaper but "nice" darker or patterned carpet to help hide all the imperfections the kids cause. ! IF you go with flooring you may also want to consider a lower grade laminate for now until the daycare comes to a close then consider option of high grade hard wood? that is my current consideration, my husband refuses to put in hard wood floors right now due to all the wear and tear the daycare brings. (we currently have hard wood up our hallways and they get quite war and scratched from the various activities and all around traffic) but I am seriously considering cheaper laminate for now until the daycare is done or moved elsewhere. I absolutely hate carpet, it sucks up all the dirt and germs and would LOVE to have hard floors that I can just wipe clean when dirty. Good Luck on your choice!

I average steaming my carpets at least every 6 monthes to attempt to keep them cleaner, this is kind of a pain as well, not to mention I can't imagine that often steaming is good for the carpet, no other choice considering the marks and dirt that goes into them, have to get it out somehow!

Euphoric !
    Hardwood, hardwood, hardwood!!!! I had carpet at my old daycare and it grossed me out completely! No matter how many times you steam clean and vacuum, it's still impossible to keep it clean.

I do lay an area rug in the play area.....just a cheap Walmart job....works great and won't break my heart if it gets ruined.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

I have soft areas by using area rugs that can be washed ... have a couple of those one in book nook and one in the kitchen area ...also have some of the coloured foam mats for floor toy area cause easy to clean and nice flat for block building and other explorations where balance is important.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    ONe problem with area rugs is that you have to send them out to be properly cleaned as you can 't steam clean them or you risk ruining the hardwood underneath them with the water so if you are considering hardwood because of the gross out factor of carpet then stay away from putting area rugs down unless they are small ones you can machine wash but those cotton types pose a slipping danger to the children. Also when washing the foam floor mats be sure to take them up to do it or do it by hand with a rag as you also run the risk of getting water down through the seams onto the hardwood. Had a friend totally ruin her expensive hardwood floors doing both of these things - luckily it was in the same room and they only had to replace flooring in one room.

Oh for sure Playfelt - sage advice ... my area rugs for daycare are SMALL so fit in my washer for cleaning and the foam mats I damp mop with my ENJO so they do not get wet for water to get under and than seasonally I take apart and clean in the laundry tub more often if someone has an accident or something on them
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    If you get cheap ones, they can be steam cleaned. Also, at places like Home Depot and Lowes you can get area rugs which are actually just carpet remnants that have the edges bound. Totally fine to steam clean. I had them in my old daycare and they worked great! So far as the cheap Walmart ones, I'd never spend more than $60 so if they get past the point of no return, it's not financially crippling to just get another. I've had a cream coloured one in my new daycare for a few months now and so far, no spots

Euphoric !
    The problem comes from steam cleaning the carpet while it is sitting on the hardwood floors. The water used to steam the carpet goes right through to the wood floor and ruins it.

We did the one in our family room by taking it out on the deck and doing it there - nice thing was it dried quicker. I like the idea of just replacing it - this was a cheap remnant we got at home depot but as you say bound when we moved in as a temporary thing and well it is still there.

Outgoing
    Hardwood. I have hardwood and while it certainly no longer looks like it once did, it's not that bad! Actually my main level is hardwood, which daycare does use...some playing and crafts and eating, and my playroom in the basement is laminate. I wouldn't go for carpet....

Expansive...
    Hardwood and a cheap rug for playing on. when it gets destroyed, dont both cleaning it . . . it wont work . . . . buy a new one and write it off LOL.

I replaced my whole aptartment with hardwood and chunky barf is now just an easy wipe. . . . life got ten times easier instantly