Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Birthday Parties

Okay ladies please help me with this one:

My DD is in JK and wants to invite 5 girls from her class plus 2 outside friends, I told her maximum 8 girls. I feel bad as that excludes 4 girls from her class. Is it wrong to exclude? Part of me says no as it's a fact of life that we are not going to get on with everyone. Another part of me says exclusion sucks.

I also feel that if she does invite all 12 girls is too outrageous a number for a 5the birthday.

What do I do

I don't see why you can't exclude the other girls. Parties are expensive and I hate to say it kids have to learn that they can't always be included.

think of it this way: this year its only 4 more, next year it could be 12 or 20 more. You have to put a limit on it at some point, might as well start now. JMO

Euphoric !
    Omigosh, I have 3 daughters and a son and I've been through this a hundred times. Start small because it always gets bigger. It's your house and your expense so you have a right to do what you feel is right and affordable and won't make you insane! I know it's hard when your little one looks you in the eye and asks so sweetly but stick to your guns.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

I agree Skysue. It would be difficult to manage 12 excited little ladies and do party festivities. Too many and you have chaos especially this time of year when most of the fun will be indoors.

My daughter is now 11 yrs old and has had big birthday parties since the age of 5, inviting family friends and girls from school....the trick is to invite the girls with grace. Dont have your daughter bring the invite to school and hand out in front of all those not invited. I have sent them to school and asked the teacher to make sure they get placed in the childs backpack before the end of school, i have also asked for the childrens phone numbers or gotten last names to look the numbers up myself and called the mothers directly to invite the children, or mailed the invites and avoided the whole "school" disbursment all together. I dont think your child should be required to invite all girls in her class against her choosing...not fair to her. Not to mention, it really is a fact of life you wont always be invited to every party in life...get over it early. My daughter has had many friends throw parties and not recieved an invite, later to find out that the mother stated 3 only and she was not one of the three, has never been hurt over it and keeps her friends irregardless of whether she is invited to their party every year or not! no biggy...I just always talk to my daughter about thinking of others and not being rude....I ask her not to hand the invites out in the open and try not to talk too much about the party while in school, not to make those not invited feel bad!

I have found the perfect number invited is around 5 girls, that way you can afford to spend more on their party bags and the party itself. We always have games and prizes and gift bags, special snacks, sometimes even dinner. If you keep the numbers low you can more easily manage the crowd and afford to give your daughter a better all around party.

Expansive...
    Thanks ladies, I agree with inviting a minimum number of girls, not everyone will come but if they do I will have 3 helpers for each station of activities, this way I won't be overwhelmed on my own. This is our 1st official school party and I here that it sucks getting people to take the time to RSVP.

1st time around for this phase of my DD's life, I can't wait for the party, Pinterest has helped me out sooooo much.

dont forget germs, maybe you can give out little bottles of hand sanitizer as one of the kids gifts...flu season is not a great time to have to throw a party.