Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I have literally been putting my shoes and coat on and grabbed my purse before when a Mom was all chatty chatty after closing, felt like saying, listen if you want to have social hour thats fine but come before I close. When I am off the clock, I am off the clock. for 12+ hours a day I am daycare lady, for the rest, you better watch out, I yell at my kids and even say some swear words. ha ha

Oh how I do not miss having to deal with most of these things back in my centre days ~ so going to give my clients an extra big thanks tonight for being awesome!

The clothing issue ~ sometimes that is tough one cause they size things by 'age' so parents assume that something 2 years should fit their 2 year old but well some 2 year olds are the 'size' of a 3 year old and some a 1 year old ... it is like the phrase one size fits 'most' verses ALL

I have a little dude in care whose petite and always had been if they dressed him in what 'fit' in the waist he would be wearing 'shorts' all the time for the leg length so dude has to have his waste band 'folded over' to help his pants stay up had another little dude with the opposite issue to get his clothes to fit his waste and hips he had to wear a size where they were 4 inches to long cause he is built like a little football player short and solid.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

LOL kidlove. So true. I've done the same thing and they still don't get it! My husband has even said he'll start the car and they still chat away.

Starting to feel at home...
    Oh - I loved reading this one.....so true - all of these. I have a little girl that I'm potty training now and her parents sent her in (wait for it) a dress with four million itty bitty buttons up the back and tights and a onesie. Seriously ? I pretty much stripped that child down two seconds after Mum left the house. Who doesn't know that seconds count when you're working with a two year old who's "gotta go!" LOL My other pet peeve, is parents who either expect us to potty train their children. I am perfectly willing to do a lot of the work but this is going to be a joint effort folks. i.e. the child is dry here all day, but at home she is put in diapers - all evening, at bedtime just because it's easier than having to take a little one to the bathroom every hour or so, or pay attention to their fluid intake when bedtime is coming up. Other peeves include parents who try to dictate whether or not nap time is going to happen, and parents who have what I call "Special Snowflake Syndrome" - the ones who tell you that their child couldn't possibly sleep in a full sized playpen - they need a crib/bed of their own; their child couldn't possibly share a room with other children for naptime - they need their own room. Sorry ! I've never yet had a little one not sleep at naptime, and no child yet has needed a room of their own. Keep the comments coming ladies - this thread is a hoot !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Monday 2 Friday Mama For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Let me tell you a little story that cured one of my daycare Dads. He drops off and picks up his son daily. The little boy is really skinny and I had problems with him walking right out of his pants for months. I found a pink pair of tights that had been left here years ago by a family and I put them on the little boy. The next morning he had a nice belt holding his pants up and he still wears that belt on his pants every day. Problem solved.

I hate onesies and leave them open after the pre-nap diaper change until the after nap diaper change. Some day I'm going to regret that because a poopy diaper will probably pop off, but why do parents buy cutie clothes with tons of buttons and snaps when they know we have to dress 5 children or more?
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home...
    Oooh - I had one last pet peeve - I remembered it while offering an opinion to another caregiver today: I really hate it when parents split hairs over your daily rates. You know the ones who want a reduced rate because their child is "only" going to be in your care from 9 to 3. Um - I still will be feeding your child snacks and meals, they are still going to participate in any crafts that we may be doing, and whether or not your child is a full time client or a part time one my daycare insurance rates are the same.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Monday 2 Friday Mama For This Useful Post:

I hate hypocrites... I have perhaps one perfect set of parents, another one that is medium and the others... just there to bend my rules (that doesnt work of course). Of course, I give them a hard time about it and it stresses me out to be so stressed out about it. A year in this business now, lets see how the next year will go ...

Expansive...
    I have two little ones whose parents dress them like we are in the arctic. I'm talking long-johns and then those awesome FLEECE LINED jeans. then five tops. I take half the clothes off them and the little ones look at me like its a whole new world because they can actually move three feet without getting over heated

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadillac For This Useful Post:

anyone ever had the "all too lazy" parent? I have a Dad that drops off 30 minutes before his shift and has the nerve yesterday to pick up 2 hours after his shift was over! I felt like asking where he worked today? normally it's a 10 minute drive from work to here, must have worked in a different town? and then when he picks up late, ALWAYS has a great excuse, had an appt, got out late, traffic heavy, low visibility, had to stop for groceries, got caught up! the list goes on......I don't give a $^&%! what the excuse is, I have been waiting for two hours with your 20 questions 3 year old and screaming infant and I was ready to be done 2 hours ago!

Or how about the parent that tries to "Re-negotiate" their contract. Had my newish DCM call yesterday to see if she could pick up her son 15 min later since she dropped him off 15 later in the morning. Then she asks me again this morning at drop off!! Then tells me "well the other daycares allow this" Really?? Seriously lady....you have contracted hours. use them wisely or you will see the door.