Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I am wondering how a one-year old even fits into a swing anymore??? Yeesh!!
    In any case, it is hard to do when you have been "giving in" for the duration of your business relationship, but there is no time like the present to grow that backbone.
    Put together a short list of the things that need to change, and your proposed solutions. Approach mom, calmly but firmly. Not asking, not "what do you think?", but saying "THIS is what needs to happen".
    And then stick to it.
    Good luck!!

Thank you everyone for the advice and support. I spoke with her yesterday and has agreed to pay the full amt as she doesnt want to loose me. Understands her expectations are a bit over the top wjen I have 5 other kids during the day. As for his sleeping she doesnt wantbto have to cross that until he is too big for the swing... Le sigh... My swing goes to 30lbs and he is 23 lbs... Baby steps lol One day he will sleep in the playpen!!
    ~Heather~

Euphoric !
    That's good news. You might want to mention that sleeping in the swing is bad for his back as opposed to sleeping while lying down.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Update on the situation.. The last two weeks have been Hell! He has been so winey. I cannot leave his side or he screams and freaks out. It's ok for him to leave my side but if I move from my spot he freaks. Also he is starting to freak out if I put up a gate. He wants to be picked up but then put down right away..I think he is spoiled! No matter what I do it's not helping and he is starting to not even sleep in the swing. My other day home kids are starting to comment on how he is always crying. The 2yr old told him the other day to STOP crying. My husband has told me to terminate this child or close the day home because it is stressing me out and not fair to the other kids... The hard part is I told her she should bring her kid to me bc we used to work together, but he is a gd kid when he is the only one. I'm giving her two weeks notice tonight to find new care... This is the first person Iwill have to let go and soo nervous about it but will feel relieved!
    ~Heather~

Outgoing
    sounds like you made the right decision. I hope your termination notice conversation goes better than mine did LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gramma View Post
    sounds like you made the right decision. I hope your termination notice conversation goes better than mine did LOL
    Lol that doesnt sound promising!!!!
    O
    ~Heather~

Outgoing
    If it is stressing everyone out that much, than you've definitely made the right decision. Good luck, and I hope it goes well for you!

Outgoing
    I also think you made a good decision. Doing home daycare is busy and stressful, even on a good day. Add a crying, screaming, clingy child who doesn't eat/sleep well is enough to make anyone go cuckoo! I get that you were trying to help a friend out (you're helping each other out) but it's causing stress in the home. if the child is not adapting well to the daycare then it's best for them to find another DCP.

I had a child in my care last year that both mom and child were hard to deal with and dad was too passive. The child started out decent but then became a cryer, pusher, biter etc. She would wake up my kids when she came in the morning, then cry off and on the whole day, which affected my kid's naps too. Mom was overbearing, over protective and holier than thou. Then, She started making up her own rules as she went along. I knew i was only going to watch the child until mom went on maternity leave, and boy was i counting down the days. Then the dad's hours changed and they needed me to start watching the kid at 6 am and i said no dice!

I have a child in my care that cried for weeks! I think it was like 8 weeks. She is the daughter of friends of mine from high school. She used to cry for hours and hours on end. She wasn't a good eater or a good sleeper and it was really taking a toll on me. I have a good relationship with DCG's mom so I had a sit down with her a few times and i told her if her child didn't start adapting within 2-3 weeks, then they would have to find another provider because the child was not adapting well into care and it was upsetting the 'flow' of the daycare. The child ended up being sick for a week and they scrambled the whole week to find care for her. Turns out it was the best thing for me and the child LOL. When she came back to me, she was a different child. Now (after 6 months) she is wonderful. She eats well, sleeps 2 solid hours (up from 20 minute cat naps) and gets along very well with my daughter.

Thanks for the help. Im going to suggest that maybe at this time they find someone to go to their house bc he hates the busyness of the other kids and get him used to sleeping other than their bed! I just have alot of anxiety to talk to her.
    ~Heather~

apples and bananas
    I think we have to start out on the right foot with these kids. I would not allow a child to sleep in a swing at all. They go in pack and plays in my house. And if they donh't like it... too bad!

i don't pick children up. I will come down to their level and give them a hug when they put their arms in the air.

I serve snack and lunch and nap and snack at the same time every day. I don't work around parents schedules, they work around mine. It's simple... if a parent asks me to do snack at another time my answer is no, I do snack at 9:30.

It took me a year to learn this. The first few days of care is hard on some kids. But! I have kids who sleep here for 3 hours and won't even go to bed at home without a fuss. They adapt quickly.

I am glad you made the decision to terminate this client as I don't think there was any way you could have fixed the situation.