Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Day Care Kid's Milestones

I know a lot of parents are very sad to miss the "firsts". If you have a daycare kid and they are having their "firsts" do you tell the parents or do you let the parents witness it for themselves so they can see the "firsts"?

Euphoric !
    I keep it to myself but do mention to the parent at pick up about how close the child is to doing it and to keep a close watch on them if they don't want to miss it. Then when they come the next day or so and say child did it I say something like I knew they were so close. Often a child takes a few steps at daycare because they see the other kids and forget not to hold on and in a sense it is like an accident of sorts. But it gives them the confidence they need that night to actually let go and do it for real. Assuming of course the parents are encouraging the child to do it too since it was brought to their attention that day at daycare. Walking is the big milestone. Others like peeing in the potty or sleeping on a mat instead of in the playpen or using a cup are milestones that often happen at daycare long before they happen at home and those I normally just keep to myself lest a parent push it at home and screw it up for me by creating a rebellious child.

Euphoric !
    I would definitely keep it to myself if it's something like first steps or first word. When I had my son in daycare, he did take his first steps at daycare and my provider told me about it and I really did feel I had missed out. I wondered why she had told me, but I know that she didn't do it maliciously...she just wanted to share and didn't realize how sad it made me feel that I had missed it and would likely miss a lot more by having to leave him to go to work. I guess that's why I have my own daycare now! So, as a provider, I do not want anyone to feel sad about missing a big milestone. However, if it's a new word they learned at daycare (not a first word) or something like that, I like to share so parents know the child is learning with me.

Expansive...
    Ohh that is a great idea about saying how close they are!!

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    I do the same thing as Sharon.

It is important as a parent to be there for your child for as many firsts as possible and therefore it is my believe that it is more special for the children's firsts to be celebrated as happening at home not at daycare.

My oldest walked at my parents for her first time at 7 months and then didn't walk for me until she was 11 months. Those few months I felt like I missed out on so much. I know it isn't the same walking for a grandma vs daycare, but it was still a milestone I missed
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Euphoric !
    I definitely keep the lips zipped!! As a mommy, I would be devastated to miss those things. So I just say "almost there!" and then whoo-hoo and clap when mom comes the next morning to tell me little sunshine did it.