Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by mlle.coccinelle View Post
    I found this awesome chart on Pintrest ( I loooooooove Pintrest ) that tells me what to do on what day! It helps tons!
    Ooooh love Pinterest too! Mind posting the link to the chart?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Agreed ~ Dreamalittledream I would love a link to that as well for comparison ~ their chart might be more efficient than mine and find me some more free time for fun!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Quote Originally Posted by jazmic View Post
    So as rotten luck would have it, I was in bed with a killer migraine all last night and dh had to cover for me with the daycare this morning. Not only did he enjoy it, he was cleaning as well. Then he comes to me (in my nice dark quiet room) and he says "pssst! It actually pays to clean as you go. I found $20 under dd's dresser!"

What are the chances of that????? I mean come on!!!!! I never find any money when *I* clean! LOL!!!!
    He sounds like a sweetheart I hope you feel better!

Starting to feel at home...
    I do feel better now. Thanks!

Outgoing
    speaking of housework during daycare hours.....I only have 2 boys today, who play AMAZINGLY on their own and so I 'm hoping to have the whole house cleaned by the end of the day! And it's too cold to go outside.

They're having a play day! And free craft time right now. Everything is out and it's build what you want!

Outgoing
    in the morning, i plan all the things i am going to do during naptime and it never seems to get done. i have sleeping issues right now so that may be why. i'm hoping to be able to use my quiet time more productively soon because once they all wake up, i regret not having done some of the household chores.

Euphoric !
    When I first started daycare I just assumed I was supposed to be with the kids all day, etc. It wasn't until one of my daycare moms (single parent) started lamenting how her son complained especially all day Saturday about how he wanted to come back to my house because all I did all day was play with him. The mom of course was busy doing laundry, dusting, batch cooking for the coming week etc.

After that conversation I came to the realization that I was a family home daycare and as such I needed to act like one. That meant that each day I did an item of housework while the kids "played" as in I was not available to them during that time. They learned to entertain themselves and other times they were all given tasks such as dusting cloths or a basket of socks to sort or washcloths to fold and we all did our work so that we would have time to play. What I was teaching them was the reality of life. Life is not all just play for anyone - work, school comes first.

Now the process I use is that during free play periods I am free to take a few minutes and do what I want to do too - well have to do so it might include putting in a tub of laundry or emtying the dishwasher or sorting a shelf. I like to get something done in the morning and then I don't feel so bad about not getting everything done in the afternoon.Also when I am busy instead of just hanging around them while they play they are more inclined to be self-sufficient and creative. I am close enough they know they can't get away with anything but busy enough they know I am not at their beck and call to be their source of entertainment. They also know if I get interrupted many times my work takes too long and if they let me get it done that we have a lot more time to do things together later.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    I suspect others' daycares are more structured than mine.

I do circle and story, and outside time in the mornings, but other than that, it's free play. I don't do lessons as part of our day. Afternoons are nap, outside time or craft time, and other than that, free play. I have plenty of time to play and clean and prep food on the main level, where my daycare is.

The upstairs is always a mess though.
    With the exception that my daycare is in the basement...it's pretty much the same here. The top floor (bedrooms....mine mostly) is a war zone. Main floor I can tidy while the kids free play or have snack. I do laundry during nap time as I watch a online episode of something or am on a forum. Then I can vacuum during evening free play. I have 2 siblings here until 6pm, I can't NOT do anything house related or it would be a disaster. Snacks or lunch time I load/unload the dishwasher. etc.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Euphoric !
    Playfelt, I have to agree with you. Kids need to learn how to entertain themselves while adults do the chores they have to do. I do my daycare kitchen cleaning while the kids play and I find that they play much better when they know I am busy If I sit down, they suddenly expect me to do something...read a book, do a felt story, etc. If I am busy, they could play happily for hours

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    When I first started daycare I just assumed I was supposed to be with the kids all day, etc. It wasn't until one of my daycare moms (single parent) started lamenting how her son complained especially all day Saturday about how he wanted to come back to my house because all I did all day was play with him. The mom of course was busy doing laundry, dusting, batch cooking for the coming week etc.

After that conversation I came to the realization that I was a family home daycare and as such I needed to act like one. That meant that each day I did an item of housework while the kids "played" as in I was not available to them during that time. They learned to entertain themselves and other times they were all given tasks such as dusting cloths or a basket of socks to sort or washcloths to fold and we all did our work so that we would have time to play. What I was teaching them was the reality of life. Life is not all just play for anyone - work, school comes first.

Now the process I use is that during free play periods I am free to take a few minutes and do what I want to do too - well have to do so it might include putting in a tub of laundry or emtying the dishwasher or sorting a shelf. I like to get something done in the morning and then I don't feel so bad about not getting everything done in the afternoon.Also when I am busy instead of just hanging around them while they play they are more inclined to be self-sufficient and creative. I am close enough they know they can't get away with anything but busy enough they know I am not at their beck and call to be their source of entertainment. They also know if I get interrupted many times my work takes too long and if they let me get it done that we have a lot more time to do things together later.