Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Teaching Independance

Okay, so I have a two year old boy who absolutely refuses to stand up for me after nap time so I can lift him out of the playpen. He just nods his head yes at me everytime I ask him to stand up. Any tips on how to get him to comply? I've tried just leaving him in there until he is ready to stand up, but quite frankly, I think he would stay until his mom came to pick him up. Normally when I talk to them, they don't really engage in the conversation with me, no responding verbally to my questions, just blank stares.

I'm not sure if I would go too far with that, maybe try and encourage him playfully..."come on" with a smile! Maybe he is just lazy tired, he just woke up and he doesnt want to move alot?! I would just pick him up from the crib and place him on the floor just outside the crib, don't carry him out of the room like a baby, hold his hand and guide him out. that would encourage independence FROM the room, would that suffice?

Outgoing
    Just to clarify, I only leave him in there for an extra 20 mins or so, and then I will stand him up in the playpen and tell him this is what I want him to do and then walk him to the other children.
    I go in every 5 mins or so and ask if he is ready to stand up.

Euphoric !
    I take their hands and pull them to a stand then to the side of the playpen to get out. Just laying there is very common.

This is why I move them to a cot before that age so they can get on and off independently ~ that would kill my back to pick up a child of that size and weight out of the pack and play specially if they were not cooperating!

Hope he starts to meet you in the middle soon in the meantime be careful with your back!!!!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Now this is going to sound harsh, but he's two years old. He's manipulating and playing you, period. It's a power struggle to see if you will cave. Never cave! These little people are very, very clever, don't underestimate them. I would not allow this to happen. Do you speak very sternly to them when they are not listening to you? A firm voice works wonders. For a two year old who won't stand up after a nap I would tell them that we are having snack so we are changing all the diapers and hurrying to the snack table. I've never run into anything like this.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    I have a two year old who was refusing to take off his boots, coat, snowpants...somethin g I know he is capable of. I just left him in the entranceway until he finally gave up and did it (checking on him of course without speaking to him...not giving him attention for it). Also, tons of positive reinforcement when he finally did it...now he is eager to do it to receive the big "bravo!" when I see he did it all by himself...he is getting faster and faster now. It's a combination of not giving in and giving tons of praise like they have just done the most marvelous thing in the world when they do it right.

Outgoing
    Put the child in the playpen at a time you don't need him to get up. Tell him to get up. If he does not get up then come back in 5 minutes and tell him to do it again. Keep trying and don't let him out until he gets up.

Start in the morning after breakfast and dont give up. He will stand up by lunch. If you have a camera put it on him so you can see right when he gets up and get him right away. He may drop as soon as you open the door. If he does then go to him and tell him to stand up. If he refuses then start over.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Euphoric !
    You could also make it a game to begin with by holding a favourite toy just out of his reach...that may be enough to get him to stand up and then praise him up and down and eventually wean him off needing a toy to do it.

dont forget to ask the parents to take part as well, they need to do the same as home or it just wont work

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post: