Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    apples and bananas

Increasing income - drop in maybe?

So, I have a great routine and set up right now. I have 2 full time, 2 part time (mat leave) and 1 before and after school.

I will have 5 full time come November (new babies from the current mat leave families) So at that time I will be full and making more income then I need to contribute to the family funds.

However, in the mean time I have this random space and not sure if or what I can do with it. I don't want to take on another child PT on consistent days because I won't have room for them in November... or is it worth posting an add for that specific family need?

Does anyone have any ways they bring in extra when they have a slow period without taking on a full time or a permanent child?

I'm wondering about drop in? vacation care for other daycares? Any suggestions?

Euphoric !
    I take on one of my past clients for some weekend work when she needs it. She's a full time student and bartends on wknds, so I take the little girl over night on Sat nights. It's a couple hundred extra bucks, but truthfully, I hate working weekends. She's an awesome 6 yr old kid and no trouble to take care of, but she's still a kid. If you don't mind giving up wknds to a degree, you could try that. I think your other ideas are good ones too. I'd be a bit leary of them only because of having to deal with separation anxiety on a regular basis...plech! But if you're cool with that, then anchor's aweigh!

I have recently had a number of enquiries from families requiring care just till their child starts JK in September. I think that would be a great temporary filler till your newbies start, but I honestly think its hit and miss as to whether or not this clients will be around. Definitely advertise and fingers crossed. I would also advertise specifically for back up daycare. Occasional days due to provider sickness and daycare closures and also to cover the providers vacation days.

There's no harm in advertising this and hopefully if you get your advertisements seen people will call. Another option is school age care during march break and the summer (ARGHHH!!) It's an option that some people might want to do and maybe if you even stipulate for kindergarten aged kids only, then it might be a little easier to tweak your current program to include them and entertain them.

Outgoing
    You could also maybe advertise for a spot for stay at home moms who want their kid to attend one or two days a week just to socialize? Just let them know it is a temporary situation, some moms may need the break especially if a new baby has arrived etc.
    Last edited by Bookworm; 01-17-2013 at 10:08 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bookworm For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I think Bookworm has an awesome idea - market it to new Mum's who may just want "daycare lite". =)

apples and bananas
    Daycare "lite" Love it! Thanks, that's the inspiration I was looking for.

Euphoric !
    How about advertising for temp summer care .... I have seen ads on kijiji for people looking for two weeks care when their regular provider is on holidays .... I guess for some reason they can't take holidays at that time

Outgoing
    I take a couple older kids during pa days and charge a little more as i plan a whole day full of activities with them and the little ones. i have been banking this little extra to put towards vacation for hubby and i! I also have taken other providers dck when they were on vacation. a great option if you have the space at the time.

I have taken back previous clients whove moved on to school on 'PD, March Break, Summer' when I have had space.

I have also had 'temp care' children whose parent just needed few months for whatever reason ~ usually before a mat leave started aka they were returning to work to get enough hours to get an mat leave
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi