Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Spinoff Thread - Pick Up Time

The other thread about what bugs you about parents got me thinking...

Do you stand at the door during pick up? I do, but I am really starting to get irritated with it, especially in the cold weather. It takes 10-20 minutes EVERY kid, and this is time that I could be doing dinner prep, cleaning up toys, or caring for other daycare kids that are still awaiting pick up.

And sometimes? It's just darn awkward. Either I have nothing to say to the parent, and the small talk stretches far beyond comfort level, or the dck will act up when they've been great with me all day. When the dck's act out, I want to speak to them, but I feel like I am stepping on parents' toes if I do.

Euphoric !
    Well if the parents pick up at the same time everyday I would have the child sitting on a chair at the door with coat and boots on ready to go and when parent comes a knocking I would let them in and say "well Johnny had a great day" and then I would look at the child and say " I hope you have a nice evening see you tomorrow". And that should be a cue for the parent to not let the door hit them on the way out

Euphoric !
    I do stand at the door and chat as I don't do written reports so give a little blurb about the day. Usually the others follow me to the door anyways. I will speak to the child if they get out of line saying something like "excuse me .... but mommy asked you to .... and at my house we do what we are told" or something similar. Usually the child cooperates cause they know better and the mom gets the hint they don't have to put up with the nonsense either.

If the parent takes offence then I wish them a nice day and disappear with the other kids and leave them to struggle. There is a gate between my entry way where coats and stuff is and the rest of the house so that is closed and they have no where to go but out.

Euphoric !
    I always stand at the door and give the parents a verbal update too. But why does the chattiest parent always have to be the last one of the day? I want my day to be over!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    Well now with my basement daycare, I have an intercom system and parents come in and get their kids and take them back out through my garage, so it's not much of an issue. The last kid I will take up and wait while parents get boots and coat on and lock the door after them. It usually takes about 5 minutes as parents are tired and ready to go home too. The ones who come before, I don't mind if they hang out for a few minutes to chat as I am in the playroom caring for the other kids while they are there. But, when I used to bring kids to the door, I would just hand off and give a quick verbal report and run back to my playroom as the other kids would be waiting at the gate crying usually. Could you not just chat for a minute and then say you have to go and take care of the others/can't leave them alone too long? Left alone in your front entrance, I am sure parents will get out faster.

if I have nothing else to do (not often) then I will engage in small talk with a parent, sometimes the last parent of the day gets a little more of my time. but usually I will help the parent get the child ready IF needed, then will move on to another child to change diaper or care for, or go about sweeping the floor and other duties, to kindly let them know I am still at work. havent had too much trouble with parents staying too long, if you do the routine of getting the childs coat and boots and saying goddbye to the child, the parent usually knows their cue to go, and IF NOT? thats usually when I go about sweeping or taking care of others, just a subtle hint of body language.

Starting to feel at home...
    I line up all of my daycare kids things (backpacks, coats, their craft from the day) in my front foyer before pick up time begins. It just makes the whole getting out the door process easier, and ensures that I haven't forgotten anything. (special sleeping toys, sippy cups, etc.) When the parents arrive to pick up their child, I do spend some time talking with them - but I don't do written logs or anything, so I guess I feel that it just makes sense to bring the parents up to speed about how their child's day went. It usually doesn't take too long - no more than 10 minutes - and usually other parents are arriving at about the same time, so that kind of encourages parents to move along and let the next parent have their "debriefing" LOL

Expansive...
    I don't know what happens to my brain at pickup time but it goes blank.

I guess it is that I am just exhausted by the end of the day and I have already written everything I had to say on teh daily report. Then at the end of the day the parents ask if Little Suzy had a good day and my mind is just like "yup" and I can't think of anything interesting to say on the spot. lol

It can sometimes be a little awkward because I feel under pressure to say something while they dress their little one but my brain isn't cooperating. lol
    Last edited by Spixie33; 01-17-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    I don't know what happens to my time at pickup time but it goes blank.

I guess it is that I am just exhausted by the end of the day and I have already written everything I had to say on teh daily report. Then at the end of the day the parents ask if Little Suzy had a good day and my mind is just like "yup" and I can't think of anything interesting to say on the spot. lol

It can sometimes be a little awkward because I feel under pressure to say something while they dress their little one but my brain isn't cooperating. lol
    That happens to me sometimes too! I am tired and distracted as parents come and go and I forget to tell them something important or I just simply go blank and can't even remember for the moment anything about that particular child's day LOL. That's why I use email a lot to communicate all those forgotten little tidbits

Outgoing
    all kids cubbies are right at my front door. as soon as i see a parent arrive, they run to their cubbie and start getting ready to leave. i am usually getting supper ready or helping my dd get ready for after school activities so i give a quick recap of anything significant from the day and see you tomorrow! keep it short and sweet.