Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Cold weather attire

Well today it is -25 with the wind chill where I am and I am once again astounded that parents dress their kids the same whether it is +10 or -25. I was expecting to see at the minimum that the kids have an undershirt or t-shirt under their shirts...or perhaps a sweater or hoodie...some thick winter pants. Nope, nada! Thin cotton shirt and thin cotton pants all around...oh and thin cotton socks. Yes, they all have snowsuits, hats, mitts, etc., but how can their little bodies regulate when they wear the same thing regardless of temperature? Parents know we have to go and take my son to the bus regardless of weather (I do put the plastic cover over the stroller to block wind). We are out for about 20 minuts max, but the kids are freezing! I always check the weather and dress my kids accordingly...in layers so that if they get hot inside they can shed a layer. Out of five dck's only one has an extra hoodie to put under the coat on days like this. Anyone else have this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    .... Anyone else have this problem?
    Not anymore ~ but it was common when I worked in centre care to the point that we kept a wardrobe of extra clothes on hand at all times

Now my handbook has a list of things I need to be here daily for each 'season' ... they get ONE reminder as we enter into each season and if they forget again they get sent home to get what is needed for the day because it is not fair to have 4 other children not able to engage in outdoor adventures because 1 client did not get their act together to properly dress a child and well I do not have storage space to keep a second wardrobe in every size so I am prepared if they forget!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yes, Reggio, I hear you. I am sending out an email this evening reminding parents of what proper winter attire is. They have provided all the items on my list, but I never thought to add "please dress your child in a couple of layers during winter,please put your child in thick winter pants, thick winter socks, etc"..thought it was common sense, but apparently not!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    Yes, Reggio, I hear you. I am sending out an email this evening reminding parents of what proper winter attire is. They have provided all the items on my list, but I never thought to add "please dress your child in a couple of layers during winter,please put your child in thick winter pants, thick winter socks, etc"..thought it was common sense, but apparently not!
    I learned a long time ago that there is no such thing as 'common sense' anymore we have gotten way to diverse in our thinking and values
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home...
    That is a constant problem here as well. So frustrating!!I'm lucky if I get snow pants half the time! The kids NEVER have scarves and half of them only have those stupid little cotton mitts. Today one of my dcb was crying the whole way home because his hands were so cold. So all 5 of us were running home as fast we could to get in the house. We are outside anywhere from 30-45 min before and after school dropping/picking kids up at bus stops and the local school and the parents know this. I have no idea how to get the parents to understand either. I've tried reminders in my newsletters but I'm not even sure if they read them and I just can't afford to buy extras for them either. I feel your pain sunnydays. I feel your pain...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to godsgirl For This Useful Post:

Ladies just a reminder that clients treat us how we ALLOW them to treat us ... plain and simple!

If these behaviors bother you, cause you stress, diminish your day or the groups experience negatively in anyway that do not ALLOW them in your program!

Sadly in today's world it is not enough to have a nice little section in a handbook that says 'please provide on a daily basis' and givens them a list you need to ENFORCE that list be here daily with a consequence that motivates them to ensure they follow through otherwise it is not a POLICY it is a REQUEST and the problem with requesting something is it gives the person the choice to say NO!

If you need XYZ here on a daily basis from the parents to ensure your program runs smoothly and the child's needs are met .... if a parent shows up without XYZ in the diaper bag you do not 'enable' that behavior by providing back up clothes or diapers or what not you stop them at the door and say SORRY I NOTICE XYZ is not in the bag and send them HOME to get what is needed ~ first time you can keep the kid and send them to get it ~ but if they are asshat enough to ignore you and NOT got an get it than at pick up they get the 'written letter' that failure to provide what is required to meet your child's needs will result in refusal of service until everything needed is provided ~ if this becomes a consistent problem than service will be terminated!

So the next day if they show up without all that is needed you follow through and REFUSE CARE until everything you need for their child is present in the diaper bag ... aka they go home with child and tow and get what is needed and come back or they do not come back at ALL!

Honestly ~ I have only ever had an issue with ONE client not providing what was needed and she only 'forgot' ONCE because a day of being late to work and having to either LIE or explain to her boss that the reason was she could not get her act together to ensure that her child had everything she needed to be safe and comfortable at daycare was enough to motivate her to make sure she packed the bag at NIGHT when she was not rushed to forget!

You want to survive in this business without getting burnt out DO NOT ENABLE LAZY PARENTING it does no one any favors!
    Loris Malaguzzi

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I built a collection of full winter gear for every kid of every size I could have here. I supply everything for them including shoes. I don't like clothing conversations and conflict. It takes up a bunch of real estate in the house but it is so worth it. Just bring me the child and I will take it from there. Much easier to get a crew dressed in identical high quality clothing that stays here and is packed away each day in a packet for use tomorrow. We never have to hunt for anything or worry it won't fit or work.

I have kids here who are on their THIRD winter coat and it's only January. Ugh the quality of kids clothes is terrible. My stuff is high quality and easy on. I like easy especially with winter gear because I pay someone to dress the kids. With my own stuff the cost of the equipment has paid itself off in staff time because my stuff fits, is easy on, and stays organized daily. Well worth the investment.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

I gave up years ago, on trying to get the parents to bring the child in proper clothing. (unless it was a coat too thin or no boots in the winter) I just keep extra hats and mitts, snowpants, rain boots and various clothing and dress them from my supply if I need to. i pick my battles here, and thats not one I care to fight anymore. Gets to a point sometimes where you feel like you are always nagging parents....don't care to do that.

Euphoric !
    I haven't had a problem with proper clothing because I tell parents every evening where we are going the next day and remind them when we must have snowpants, but I have drawstring bags on the children's pegs where I insist they leave a hat and extra mittens here all winter. All summer they have to leave sunhats and sunglasses in the drawstring bag. All year round we have splashpants left here, which I use in all kinds of weather.

I'm really proud of my dcparents because they pay attention to me when I talk. Either that or I'm kinda scary.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post: