Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5 am start?

Shy

5 am start?

I am looking to terminate a tyrannical part time toddler and started advertising again. I had a nibble asking if I would consider taking a 15 month old in cloth diapers with some 5 am drop offs. My hours are 7.30-5...I'm waiting on more details regarding frequency of these early morning drop offs...do any of you ladies take kiddies in this early? They offered to pay extra for the early days which leads me to believe these days will be 12 hour days. I'm also hesitant because I wonder what kind of mood the child will be in if they are up so early. Am I trading one problem for another? Maybe I'd be best to hold out for a normal start time.

You need to reflect on the pros of cons of accepting something like that for YOU ~ cause ultimately it is you and your family affected!

I open at 7am and have had children at that age who arrived and basically went back to bed for a morning nap right away ~ so it could be very possible that a child arriving at 5am would so totally do the same thing and be really easy and so forth!

However I personally know my own sleep needs and 'work life balance' in order to remain a passionate provider who loves my job at that is too keep my work hours to a 10 hour day max ..... I personally would not touch that for all the tea in China cause no amount of money is worth working a 12 plus hour day for myself, potentially waking my own family up at that time of day if the child does not come in happily and affecting their morning routine and so forth!

Are your own family members 'early risers' would they be ok with this child being in their home at 5am potentially screaming for a few months?

My red flags with this scenario that I would be wanting more information from potential clients are the child is 15 months old ~ so where have they been for last 3 months since mat leave most likely would have ended at 12 months and second red flag is paired with the first that fact they are willing to 'pay more' for that early start date leads me to believe they have already been in care and it did not work out because of the early start date so are trying to sweeten the deal for the next provider with offer for extra pay.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Reggio, you raise some very important points that have me thinking. My initial thought was that there was no way in the world I would start at 5 am...my husband just laughed and flat out said 'NO!'. I think if the early start is a 'once a month' or on 'occasion Dad has to travel' kinda thing, I could do it. But you are right...my boys would be ticked right off to have a screamer arriving at 5am! They already tell me they dislike the troublesome screamer i have now, hence my search. Thanks for the sound advice, once again!

apples and bananas
    The minute I saw your title "5am start" a little voice in side of me said... "DON"T DO IT" LOL

But that might just be me. I do a 6am some days ( like maybe 4 days out of the month ) and it sucks! The only saving grace is that it's an 8 year old. I let her in, we watch some cartoons then I can leave her alone to shower and get my kids ready. I couldn't do that with a little one.

Make sure you don't make your choice based on money

Ya my fear is that based on the venting that goes on provider forums by people who agree to this at the start of a contract and are told it will 'only be an average of once or twice a month' always GROWS over time on people to become more frequently than they had imagined and then end up at the point asking for advice on how to terminate the client because the arrangement is not working and they have interested other client now that are more appealing

My advice is to choose a business model that reflects your needs and values and STICK TO IT and attract clients into your care that can fit within that model and hours ~ I know lots of people who are early birds and cater to this niche ~ so ALL their clients are early as they work 6-2 shifts and so the provider hours are 5:30 - 2:30 to accommodate that need ... so they are still within their 10 hour work day and home after school for their own kids with NO work ... if someone comes looking for 'late hour' care they pass on them because their niche is the early risers. Other people are the 'late hour' and myself I am the 'middle' of 7-5 max hours.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    I wouldn't do a 5 am start even occasionally. That is EARLY!
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    The minute I saw your title "5am start" a little voice in side of me said... "DON"T DO IT" LOL
    Haha Me too!!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    I open at 6 am for two weeks out of the month and 6:30 for the other two weeks. I don't mind it.

Euphoric !
    Never ..... That means you gotta get up around 430 ....am..... By 3 in the afternoon your gonna be bagged..... I used to do a 6:30 a couple days a week and it blows I could never imagine doing a 5am ..... They need a live in nanny

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

I would be more worried about the mood I would be in !! lol No way I would get up at 5 am. My girls are all grown up now and its no earlier then 6:30 sharp that I get up. I start at 7:00. One asked me if 6:45 would be an option and I just couldn't. Im very moody if I dont sleep until 6:30. Weekends I get up at 7:30, so its not that lazy huh ?!