Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing

Escape from an emergency

Hi girls, I would like to know how you would escape from an emergency if you were to live on a top floor apartment with a 4 young kids (3 under 2, 1 just turned 2).

I have 2 part time families one is 2days and another one is 3 days. So they basically, share 1 full time spot. The family who comes 2 days a week is leaving. And then I will have 2 full time and one part time(3days). Now, I do not want to take care of 4 small children on my own as it will be difficult in case of an emergency. And going out with them almost impossible.

I can not effort to leave the spot as it is and so far they were the only family required 2 days care. *I either get full time or half days(which I'm not offering) inquiries.

I have a family who want full time care but if I take them that means, I will have 3days where I have 4 kids. I really really don't want to let my 3 days family go as they are gold! So their child! And if I take on 3 day full time help then the money I will get from the 3rd family will go to the help. So I'm not really benefitting from this.

At the end I know I will do whatever is best for me and for my family but I thought I should ask you to see how you would deal with an emergency with 4 young kids.

I'm sorry if above does not make sense. Please feel free to ask questions if you are confused about my post. I only slept 3 hours last night and feel like a zombie and can't focus what I'm writing.

Thanks a lot.

Top floor of an apartment is a challenge for sure adding to it all under 2 children makes it even more challenging for emergencies

I will admit this is another reason why I do not care for more than 2 children under the age of 2 ~ because in an emergency I can pick them both up under my arms and run with the other 3 independent children who are trained to 'follow' through our fire drills each month.

However if I HAD to care for all young ones for some reason there ARE options for you in an emergency such as a fire ~ ensure you have a cordless phone or cellphone you keep with you for calling emergencies in a fire you can barricade yourself in a room with a window, put water soaked towels along the bottom of the door to slow down the smoke and you could invest in a ladder to get them out or just wait for the fire department.

They sell the 'ladders' at Canadian Tire for evacuation which you could use to portage them down in a fire on at a time ~ toss them all into a pack-n-play while you are doing your runs down usually there would be bystanders to help 'catch' them if need be and so forth.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

If it is a medical emergency ~ I would call an ambulance and than contain all the kids in some manner of boosters or pack and play while you deal with it until help arrives.

Not sure if that is the kind of advice you are wanting or not?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thank you Inspired. I actually meant how to evacuate the building? If we were stuck at home I know how to deal but how would you transfer kids out side the apartment. Our apartment is pretty much new build and secure. The other day my husband smell of a gas in our parking and he called gas safety somethingthey strongly advised him to call 911 and we did. It appeared to be nothing serious but still. It is better to be safe then sorry. The management send people to check the building regularly.

I'm sure parents will ask me this IF I take the 4th child with part time help( I can effort part time).

I have a double Chariot to transport them and3 kids can easly fit in. And 4th kid can follow orders already and will be just over 2 years old.

Euphoric !
    Haha, Cocoon, you sound a wee bit FRAZZLED!!! Poor baby!

If I lived on a high floor in an apartment building and had several children with me I would definitely stay inside the apartment with small children. I did live on the 13th floor of an apartment building, weird right, they usually skip that floor, but I was working midnights and sleeping during the day and did not have the energy to run out when the fire alarm rang. And it rang often. So I would stay near my door and listen and wait. Every single time the alarm rang the fire trucks arrived and the firefighters went through each floor feeling every door to see if any of them were hot.

So to answer your question, I would stay inside with the children in the event of a fire bell and wait for the firefighter to arrive at your door and ask him questions or ask for help. I would have an answer such as this ready during interviews so you could answer a parent with confidence that you have a plan in place.

I was wondering if you could call the local fire department and let them know your situation, to ask if they could make a notation anywhere that you run a daycare with several small children in case of emergency. Find out if they can offer that kind of service where it is on record in case you ever fainted and one of the children dialed 911. Oh now you have me thinking of all kinds of scenarios!

Once you take care of this you would be able to make your decision about which children and how many you want to have in your daycare.

Expansive...
    Hi! Honesty, if it were a real emergency, stack the kids four/ five deep in the stroller and get out of there!!!!! They don't need to be comfortable,you just get them out!

If you are having to evacuate your building in an emergency ~ gas leak, actual fire verses a drill or something I would choose a 'relocation site' and make arrangements with that to be 'available' at all times during business hours ~ so is there either a local business or someones home within walking distance you could turn to?

Part of my emergency evacuation plan before is that we will relocate to the local '24 hour corner store' to be safe from the elements and I would call the clients from there ~ I checked with management that they would support this and they have a little 'staff room' we could sit in ~ I keep an emergency backpack that travels with us which contains all their emergency contact info, some snacks, water bottle, diapers and some books and finger puppets to 'entertain' kids and keep them calm.

In a real emergency to be honest if I HAD to I would be putting 4 kids in my double stroller if it meant I could 'relocate' faster from any danger ~ better to topple out of a stroller than to blow up in a potential gas leak!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Ladies, sorry, but the problem is that when the fire bell rings the elevators in the building do NOT work! You can't take a double stroller full of babies down any stairs, let alone several flights of stairs, so I stand by my answer to stay put and wait for the firefighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Ladies, sorry, but the problem is that when the fire bell rings the elevators in the building do NOT work! You can't take a double stroller full of babies down any stairs, let alone several flights of stairs, so I stand by my answer to stay put and wait for the firefighters.
    True ~ I think in her second post she is asking what do you do with the kids if they have 'evacuated you' .... so the Fire Department comes knocking and tell you to LEAVE the building so where to go and how does she 'transport' them?

What if it is dead of winter and she has no time to get them 'dressed' and so forth and so on ... shes looking for ideas for how to deal with these worse case scenarios?

Cocoon is your stroller stored in your apartment or a main floor storage unit or garage?
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    Aha! Momof4, you must be my brain sister I was actually going to call the fire department after work and ask them how I can evacuate 4 young kids and will tell them that I have a day home so god forbid in any emergency they will look for us even if I don't call or answer their calls.

And also as you have stated in an emergency lifts do not work and even if they do I wouldn't use it. I have neigbours on the same floor and they know me and my dc kids. I'm sure they will help too if needed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cocoon For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I don't know how I found that question mark but it was meant to be this " "