Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Link to rules for Private providers

Hi everyone. I am just wondering if someone can share the link to the rules in Ontario for private home daycare providers...particul arly regarding numbers of children. I have read it more than once and I understand well what the rules are, but now I can't remember where I found it! I would like to save the link to refer people to. It seems every time I meet other caregivers who work through agencies, they get quite shall we say, up on their high horses, about numbers and insist that the DNA numbers apply to everyone....that is apparently, what the agencies are telling them. My guess is agencies tell them this to keep them from leaving because if they knew the truth, they would be more likely to leave due to the freedom in regards to age ratios. It frustrates me and I would like to clear them up with the information straight from the source! Thanks!

I would like that link, too. I had a daycare mom challenge me about it recently. She told me that it was against Ontario daycare standards for me to have 5 kids under 3. I am unlicensed.

I do know that if you aren't with an agency, there are no age limits, but we are still only permitted to have five children in our care at any given time (not including our own kids), and this includes visitors that you are not being paid to care for.

Euphoric !
    This is a copy of a letter from the ministry that the CCPRN has posted on their website.

http://www.ccprn.com/en/information-...ry-guidelines/

If the link doesn't work go the website www.ccprn.com and look under information for providers and frequently asked questions.

Euphoric !
    Yes agency parents face two issues - age restrictions of the daycare kids and that their own kids count in the number of 5 total. For sure I can see why an agency would tell people their rules are the only ones out there.

Euphoric !
    Thanks Playfelt! This is exactly what I was looking for! I knew all of these rules and follow them carefully, but get so annoyed when other daycare providers treat me like I don't know what I am talking about because they "have been told" the rules by the agency. I wish people would take the time to research things for themselves instead of relying on what they have been told or even worse, what they have heard from others

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Well of COURSE the agency is going to imply through careful wording that those ratios and restrictions apply to everyone and not correct them of that assumption ~ cause if as a provider is having to count her own two children in her ratios meaning she can only have income on 3 children OR if they have a space or two sitting open because they cannot find two children who are over 3 to meet those ratios or they already have two children under two and they knew they could have 5 children of ANY AGE they were comfortable with if they went privately and keep all their income as a result what incentive is there for them to stay with the agency while loosing money

Here is a link to CURRENT licensing guidelines for Ontario that is written more 'in normal language

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/parents...package-en.pdf

CHILD CARE IN ONTARIO
    The child care system in Ontario consists of a range of services for families and their children, including licensed day nurseries and private-home day care which provide supports to children and their families.

The Day Nurseries Act requires any premise that receives more than five children under the age of 10 years, not of common parentage (children who have different parents), for temporary care and guidance, to be licensed as a day nursery.

A person may provide informal child care to five children or less under the age of 10 years who are not of common parentage (children who have different parents), in addition to his/her own children, without a licence. This number may not be exceeded, regardless of the number of adults present or on site.

When a person provides in-home child care at more than one location or co-ordinates the provision of care at more than one site, a licence to operate a private-home day care agency is required.

It is an offence to establish, operate or maintain a day nursery or private-home day care agency without a licence. On conviction, the fine is up to $2,000 for each day the offence continues, or imprisonment for a term of not more than one year, or both.

Ministry staff have the responsibility to follow-up on all complaints about child care being provided without a licence.
    So basically the ONLY rule that applies to us according to the DNA is that we cannot have more than 5 children under the age of 10 in our programs ~ our own children of common parentage to us as the provider do not count

Here is a link to the day nursery act as it is currently written
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_900262_e.htm

However that said that these are the 'current' rules for unregulated providers ~ I will share that I too have been hearing lots of rumors through the regulated industry and peers who have sat directly or had a boss whose sat at the round table discussions on the changes coming down the pipe there is rumor that the NEW Day Nursery Act that is currently being revised as part of the Modernizing Ontarios Childcare is projected to contain some changes that WOULD make the rules the same for everyone ~ everyone would have to count their own children and so forth as well as rumor that being 'unregulated' will no longer be an option that anyone wanting to provide childcare for the purpose of business would be required to be registered in some manner and subject to random inspection by the Ministry as a result ... but at this point in time the rules above are what are in effect until they get off their arses and actually pass the new proposed changes into 'law'!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Thank Reggio! Well I sincerely hope they don't make the age ratios and counting your own children under 10 apply to all of us or I am not sure I will be able to continue as a daycare provider. If I have to count my two children even if they are in school full-time, then I could only hve 3 kids...not enough to make a living. I am fine with registering and being checked etc..nothing to hide here...but since my daughter is only 2 1/2, I have quite a few years to go until none of my own kids would count! I hope they take into consideration the sudden shortage of childcare they are going to cause when people like me are forced to shut down for lack of financial viability. I love providing childcare and have built a daycare I am really proud of and I know I provide quality care. I really hope to be able to continue!

Euphoric !
    Reggio...and others...how soon do you think they might implement new rules and laws for all of us??? Maybe I should start thinking of a back up plan now...you've got me worrying...

apples and bananas
    Does anyone know if my step children count towards my numbers or not? I believe they do because they're not legally mine... however... what if dad's home with them?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    ... I hope they take into consideration the sudden shortage of childcare they are going to cause when people like me are forced to shut down for lack of financial viability. ...
    One would hope that they would 'graduate' any changes in slowly and in a better manner than what they did with Full Day Early Learning ... cause even with that graduated change over the course of 5 years it has resulted in the closing of many childcare centres across Ontario and will likley continue to do so by the time 2015 rolls out and ALL schools have this option ... centres are not able to cope because the loss of 4 to 5 year olds was their main 'profit' as toddler programs break even and infant programs cost money to offer in the regulated industry, there is a large inability of the programs to 'alter/renovate' their businesses to care for infants and toddler ages instead because of the additional requirements this age impose and well in some cases the inability to 'staff' the programs with the loss of ECE in their communities migrating to the better paying school based positions creating a shortage of being able to meet even the 'bare minimum' of only 1 RECE per group ... that change has truly done a number on the 'centre' industry for sure and I am afraid what further 'changes' might do!

I will admit that one of 'paranoid wear a tinfoil hat' thoughts that occassionally enters my mind when I hear rumors about the current government agenda is that they WANT to destroy the current childcare system by driving those of us who could not 'adapt' to a regulated one out of business in order to create a further shortage of 'childcare' and therefore make it more palatable for big business to accept voting for tax payers supporting a 'national childcare program' where they would be no option to be 'private business' at all ... I believe that they truly goal is to have ALL childcare options under the Ministry of Education umbrella in a non profit regulated partnership ... and lots of organizations out there lobbying for this as well as 'unregulated childcare' always gets tainted as evil and responsible for all the harm and even when horrible things happen in a regulated industry it gets implied that it was because we still do not have ENOUGH regulation
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post: