Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Outdoor time-when is it too cold?

Hey Everyone!

Would really appreciate your input

All my dcks include my own child are all 18 months or under (there is one 2 year old).

I am curious as to what you all would consider, with this age group in mind to be too cold to be outside in these winter months?
    Thanks you!

Outgoing
    I don't go out if it is colder than -5 or if there is a windchill. This week will likely be an inside play week as the temps are supposed to be colder than -5 with a windchill in the middle teens and low twenties. My dcks are between 21mths and 4.5 years. I am not a winter person and the daycare parents know this. I have an inflatable bouncy slide that I set up in the playroom and the kids love it! I also have indoor riding toys that I bring out.

Outgoing
    we go out if it's 20 degrees Fahrenheit or over. In the summertime we go out if its under 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Euphoric !
    Daycare123 I'm not sure if you are in Canada, but my contract states:

 We will not go outdoors if the temperature goes down to minus 10 C degrees with the wind-chill factor. In this case it is understood that it is too cold for the children to play outdoors safely. In the summer we will not go outside if the humidity is extremely high to avoid breathing problems or heat exhaustion.
     In all cases I ask that the parents/guardians accept my judgment of the current weather conditions.

That last part about the parents trusting my judgment is the really important part. I can't stand the high humidity in the summer but if we get out right after breakfast at 9am for an hour at least it's a little better and we get our exercise. In the winter it's important to have a cutoff temp with the wind chill because I don't ever want any tiny fingers or toes with frostbite injuries.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing
    Momof4- It is based on my judgement, but I would like to add something to my contract so parents have a general guide, especially in the winter. I am in Canada Thanks for the info-I was thinking below -5 would be an idoor day as weel

I am -10C in the winter as well ... so we attempt to go outside daily up to -10C and than adjust the 'length' of time outside based on wind chill and how children are coping with the time outside ~ any non mobile children I might have in attendance get bundled up extra with blankets and so forth and put on the sled or stroller or what not to allow the mobile children who can cope a chance to get some physical exercise.

In the summer I am we go outside daily unless there is a 'heat / smog' advisory issued for the area that states children should not go out AT ALL ~ if there is an advisory that says outside time should be 'limited' than we go outside and stay in the shade and engage in water play and than come back in early before the sun gets fully up and so forth.

If it helps when I worked in centre care we had the following Winter guidelines based on the assumption children are PROPERLY DRESSED and than temperature tolerance increased the more active it was felt a child could keep themselves outside to stay 'warm' so to speak ~ if it helps I worked in Southern Ontario at the time ... so if the age groups were 'mixed' for some reason you went with the temperature of the youngest ones in the room

-6C for non mobile infants (aka unable to crawl or walk)
    -10C for children mobile but under 30 months
    -15C preschoolers 30 months and over
    -20 C for children who are over 6 years
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

I'm exactly like jodaycare, so not a winter girl so I have no problems not going outside if it's too cold. Past week I made some good efforts... But this coming week, no way !

Euphoric !
    I am not a winter person but I do try to take my crew out daily even if its just for 15-20 mins .... Last winter my crew was between the ages of 21 months and 2.5 and all boys so they loved it......this year however is a different story .... I have one non walker and when you put snow pants on him he becomes a non crawling screamer and then I have a new walker so it makes for very unpleasant outdoor time so this year I am staying in once its below -10

Outgoing
    I'm -10 with the windchill too. I have a non-walker, and the rest of the kids are 2 and under. They also (with the exception of my children) hate being outside in the cold unless I am pulling them in the wagon. They cry if they get snow on them or if they fall over. I think the only time they get outdoor play is when they are at daycare.

apples and bananas
    I hate the winter and I hate the cold. This week is an indoor week for us. I don't have it in my policies but I let all clients know right from the beginning that I hate the cold. We will spend all day outside in the spring and fall and most of the summer depending on humidity, but in the winter I hybernate! I tend to not bother if the "feels like" is anywhere around -5 or lower. I find it's just too cold for the little ones.

Parents bring their snow pants on days like today and I just say "great, you brought snow pants. We're going to see how it feels outside in a little bit and maybe try for a few min."