Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Discount for siblings?

I was ask if I can do discount for siblings? Do any of you do?

Outgoing
    No. I charge per space. If I give a sibling discount, I'm losing money. I will admit though, that any sibling parents who have contacted me have asked about a discount, and not chosen me when they found out there is no discount. Because I filled up within a few weeks of opening, that didn't worry me, but depending on the market in your area, you might be tempted to take them on. I also did not want siblings for two reasons: I didn't want the potential of "rough-housing" between siblings who do that at home, and I didn't want the financial risk of losing TWO incomes if a family moves.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I don't do sibling discounts. I still have spaces to fill, and I've had people not choose me because of this too. But as treeholm stated, you're losing money by giving it. Siblings don't share the space, or food, etc. Quite frankly, what we charge is already a great deal considering the fact that most of us make less than babysitters if you look at it per hour.

Euphoric !
    I don't do sibling discounts either ..... I currently have brothers in care and in oct I will have another sibling set in care .... So I have not had an issue of being turned down because I charge full fees.

Euphoric !
    Nope. I did it once in my first year in business for a few months and it was a huge mistake. I was in the red due to costs for food and crafts.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Nope. I did it once in my first year in business for a few months and it was a huge mistake. I was in the red due to costs for food and crafts.
    Me too! Never again.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Nope ~ unlike Walmart and Costco who can offer cheaper deals to customers because they buy in large bulk from suppliers ~ it does not cost a provider LESS to provide service to siblings verses two singletons so offering a 'discount' comes directly out of my WAGE and well after expenses I only make just on minimum wage as it is so not prepared to give away more of that!

Plus while they help to fill two spots in the beginning at the end of the relationship when you are use to budgeting for the income when they leave your income takes a sudden nose dive of 2/5 until you can get the space filled so they are a larger income risk than singletons!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    Me too! Never again.
    I did it too

terrible

Starting to feel at home... Serendipity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Nope ~ unlike Walmart and Costco who can offer cheaper deals to customers because they buy in large bulk from suppliers ~ it does not cost a provider LESS to provide service to siblings verses two singletons so offering a 'discount' comes directly out of my WAGE and well after expenses I only make just on minimum wage as it is so not prepared to give away more of that!
    That isn't always true so I wouldn't use that as the basis for debate. Sometimes siblings cost LESS to provide for. It all depends on how you bill and what you charge for.

When one is absent, they are usually both home. When providing families with newletters of correspondence you need only supply ONE for the parent. Sometimes I think having kids from ONE family is MUCH easier than a single child from multiple families.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Plus while they help to fill two spots in the beginning at the end of the relationship when you are use to budgeting for the income when they leave your income takes a sudden nose dive of 2/5 until you can get the space filled so they are a larger income risk than singletons!
    I have never had two siblings leave at one time before. Most the siblings I have had in care have aged out of my program so that wouldn't be applicable to me either.

Siblings also mean working with a family for a longer period of time so that is a plus too.

I guess I think providers need to do what works for them but if sibling discounts are the norm in your area, parents are going to expect that.

No siblings discount here. It costs the same as any other child and I have had siblings leave at the same time. Also, if one was sick, yes, the other one came if they were well.