Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hand sanitizing the children ??

Do you put hand sanitizer on children 20 months and up ??? I wasnt but... they understand to cough or sneeze in the arm when ask but of course not quite do it on their own. So they cough in their hands sometimes... guess thats better then in other friends faces !!

So its a drag to pick them up and hurry them to the sink to wash hands with disinfecting soap each time, its hard for the back Do you see any harm in putting hand sanitizer on their hands ??

Its sounds irresponsible of me... but wanted to ask anyways !

Wash hands. Hand sanitizer is full of chemicals. Using these harsh chemicals isn't doing much that soap and water can't do.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Hand sanatizer is a chemical and contains alcohol so of course to put it in their mouths is dangerous. While they arent going to get drunk or have alcohol poisoning from such a small amount, it may still make them have some symptoms of tummy ache etc. I think part of the problem with high cases of illness comes from people being to neurotic about cleanliness, using things like hand sanatizers when soap and water would surfise. Also the children need to be exposed to certain bacterias in order to build up a good immune system. My bet is that using hand sanitizer may or may not help reduce the amount of sickness we see in our home daycares, but surely after a year or two of exposure with just regular hand washing will result in healthier children in the long run. Also, hand sanitizer is SO HARD on skin. Why bother when there is a better alternative. Also, this is cold and flu season for goodness sake, everyone is bound to get sick to some degree, and IMO a little cold is not the end of the world.

Well even if its cold and flu season... no harm also in trying to prevent everyone getting it if one is sick... trying to stop the germs thread, I did say trying even though nothing can actually be done ! I'll still keep washing hand as often as possible then... hey I do my best here !!

I don't use hand sanitizer for the little ones though I do keep a bottle in my entrance way for the adults who don't know to sneeze/cough into their elbow. I don't want them touching my door handles with those hands! With the kids old enough to understand I always give them gentle reminders through out the day to use their elbows.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

if you have no other option? hand sanitize. Better than nothing at all. Out in stores, sanitize...riding in car, sanitize. but if the kids are in your home...wash! it is a pain and maybe you can get a higher stool so you don't have to lift them each time, not to mention I work on them from the age of 2 or shortly before to master hand washing with my help, they turn on the warm (not cold) they squirt, they scrub, they rinse, get down and dry. i will help the younger ones of course, but I think washing is much better and cleaner too. Sanitizer is filled with harsh chemicals and alcohol that really dries out the little ones hands. it can do more harm than good sometimes, if it dries out too much the hands can crack, making the body even more suseptable to picking up yuck germs. sanitizer is a good in the purse in car on the go backup, not for in the home. although I do leave a bottle at the front door for parents to use when picking up their kids.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Shoppers Drug Mart sells their own brand (Balea) of Hand Sanitizer for kids. I use that when they first get here in the morning; otherwise, hand wash.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

That is awesome if they have one for children, I'll look it up, it will be useful then when we go out (well in the summer mostly I guess).
    Last edited by DisneyPrincess; 01-22-2013 at 06:33 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DisneyPrincess For This Useful Post:

My cousin is a ER Dr. she gets a lot of kids coming in with alcohol poisoning because of hand sanitizer. Not always because the kids us it, but their parents do and it transfers to the kid and seeps into their skin then into their blood.

I would never us it on a kid, unless it was designed for kids (non-alcohol). I would also be every up set if someone used it on my kids without my permission.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess View Post
    What the .... ????
    LOL so are they for or against sanitizers?