Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Good finger paintng recipe?!

Hi ladies!

I'm trying to find a GOOD finger painting recipe.... I found tons of them, but they always end up gross and the kiddos won't put their fingers in it!

I was wondering if any of you have one that is creamy and easy to make?!

please and thank you ?

I don't have a receipe for you mlle.c, but I have to ask, do your kiddies finger paint projects all become brown with the paint mix? I like to give the kids choices for colours, but geez I'm getting tired of the brown mess.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I bought the Crayola finger paints and they are very nice, but when I run out of those I mix a bit of flour, small amounts of water added at a time until you get a good texture and add food colouring. You can make cornstarch mix the same way. I make sure they use the fingerpainting shiny paper with this really wet paint so they don't rub through the paper. I like to do things the simplest way possible.

Oh mimi, thanks for that, haha! My dckids drive me crazy that I put all the colours out and it all ends up one big colour.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Oh! yeah the little one are BROWN! with some blue, red or green areas ! One mom last week looked at me terrifed! what did you do to my child! ahaha, when I explaned she laugh!

the older one are a bit better, i usually put a container with water in so they can ''rince'' their fingers! But after 2 or 3 sheet.... their fingers will turn brown!

and..... for the mixing colours out, I started taking a plate and giving them a little bit of paint and adding some if they need more. make less of a mess and i just trow the plates in the dishwasher after!

Our favorite homemade one is a bit of corn syrup and food coloring ... if you do it on actual paper it dries 'hard and shiny'.

I had pinned this site cause it has some simple recipes and comparisons of which gave better coverage and stain removal options!
    http://lajollamom.com/2010/12/home-m...s-kids-crafts/

Because for my age group it is more about the process of exploring the mediums than creating a finished product in an effort to save a tree or two as well as allow me to invest my craft budget in other things I will admit that we generally finger paint or paint for that matter on sheets of laminated white card stock I created ~ when they have lost interest I can wash them off and reuse over and over verses going through 25 sheets of paper a day when you get those kids who will make 5 paintings each

When someone creates something they want to show 'mom and dad' than we take a photo of it to email or add to their portfolio.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

that is SUCH a good idea Reggio! I have 1 15 and 1 16 MO babies.... that would be SO usefull! Did you go to like office depot to get them laminated or you just did it yourself?

turns out I used water, flour and tons of corn startch.....! it was Awesome! it was the right texture and it made a fun texture on the sheet of paper when it dried! definitely doing this again!

Quote Originally Posted by mlle.coccinelle View Post
    ....Did you go to like office depot to get them laminated or you just did it yourself?
    I invested in a hot/cold laminator for home for the smaller things under 8x11 in size ~ but you could take them to office supply place or if you are in Ontario the OEYC often have laminators and offer it for 'cheaper' than business does cause they are not looking to make a profit just cover the expense of the thing.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi