Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What are some of the reasons you have terminated.

Except for parent issues (non-payments, late payments, not sticking to policy book etc.) what are some of the reasons you have terminated a child from your care.

I'm on the fence about terminiating an almost 3 yr old dcb. He will go weeks without a major incident and them BAM....it will be a week of hell. Biting, pushing, talking back. He will get a stern lecture from his folks after I have had a meeting with them and then slowly, it goes back to the way it always is. I cannot trust this child alone with a group of kids in a room. I have shadowed him for most of the time he has been with me. If he left tomorrow out of my daycare, I would not shed a tear. there is no love lost there.

On a good day he tries my nerves more so than any other DCC I have ever worked with. He is a big kid and does not seem to care or understand that things like sitting on his friends multiple times a day is NOT okay. This dcb has a lot of strikes against him. Chronic running nose, 3 poops a day and is just a lot of work and stress. When he was sick before Xmas....my crew was so different. It really changed the dynamics here.

I here ya, I have one 3 y.o. girl that is quite the attitude little lady and there has been days of getting down to my last nerve. She actually made me shout at her infront of all the others... hey I'm not proud this is just how far she got me. I told the parents I did, I felt bad but had no shame sharing with them. She tells them everything that is going on anyhow, she is very smart. My solution after that episode was just to put her away in ''time-out'', and she was there often. These days are not so bad. Yes she is stressful, but only have until the summer where then she'll start school and wont be in my care anymore so... I'll just suck it up

Euphoric !
    I had a boy in my care last year from jan to end of oct (21 months - 2.5) and he always came in he door with a big smile on his face and he rarely complained about anything but he also had no boundaries .... Zero.... Zilch..... If he could do it ... He did it .... The first day he tried to scale my stair case from the outside hanging on to the railings.... I had to remove most things from my playroom because no matter how many times I said no ... Re directed.... Put in time out ... He went right back at it..... Then at the beginning of oct he was sick and off for a week .... Wow what a change .... The dynamics of the group were totally different and I was calm and stress free .... One day back and I realized he had to go. Sometimes you just gotta say adios

Ugh. Said DCB just hit another child with a hot wheels metal car. In the head. I'm so done with this child.

Euphoric !
    I terminated a family after a month of screaming on the baby's part and the Mom wouldn't work with me to solve it but rather expected me to carry the baby at all times. I terminated a family with a very violent 2 year old girl who was completely out of control and the parents thought she was just perfect. So that's when my interviewing methods changed and I made the rule that I will keep working as long as the parents are co-operating and helping me with any problem. These two lessons happened to me in my first year of business while I was learning everything the hard way.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Expansive...
    I had to terminate a family (a neighbor too, it was awkward) after their 4 yrs old cried all day for 1 1/2 months. It was ridiculous! She was 4 and there was nothing wrong...and it was beginning to have a huge negative effect on the whole group.

I terminated a family because the child cried incessantly for more than a month. We just couldn't take it any more -not me, not the other daycare children. It was unfair to all of us, and to the crier.

I am considering terminating another family because the little guy drives me nuts. He's five, and is here every other day for a full day. He tells me he's bored constantly, no matter what we're doing. He regularly tells me he hates coming to my house. He tells me my toys suck. I even went so far as to go out and buy him more toy cars, because he complained that I didn't have cool ones like his "old babysitter".

If we are at the park, he whines to go home. If we're doing a craft, he tells me it sucks. He hates every kind of food I give him. He butts into private conversations I am having with my kids, despite my asking him to stop doing so. Like, if I am talking to dd, he will come over and yell at her, "Yeeeeah! You need to listen to your mom and stop being bad all the time". My daughter is 13.

Seriously...I am feeling pretty done with him. It doesn't help matters that his mother pays late every week. She's the one who my last thread is about.

Euphoric !
    Oh I hear you! I have one who is driving me nuts right now too No physical boundaries...always in everyone's space, pushing, grabbing, knocking over, etc. It is so constant and tiring. I wish I knew a way to screen for this kind of thing in an interview...I am interviewing now for a space and agonizing over who to choose because I dread ending up in this situation and I hate having to terminate!

other than, parent issues...disrespect, late payments and the like! I have terminated one that I can think of due to child behavior...I had brothers who were very violent with each other and extremely disrespectful toward me (when I tried to hold a boy still from a massive tantrum, he began kicking me, tried to bite me and stuck his finger nails in my arms) his little brother would bite and pull hair on others for no reason and the two of them fought like that with each other as well....I have no patience for that type behavior in my home.

Sunnydays, I have one little girl who does the same thing to friends.. you know getting in their space, taking their toys, pushing them... but you know whats weird, most of the time she has a huge smile on her face and his having a blast. Kindda sick when you think about it, is she smiling because she likes hurting ?? lol One thing she does, its even more getting in people's bubbles, she little squishes them, like giving a hug but pulling so hard, usually when their back is turned or going ON them if they are on the floor. I mean, how on earth to I make her understand at almost 2 to not do that. She started out here at 1 and was much worst then... Still its no fun, even though she seems to be having a blast... well until I time-out her haha