Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Isolation solutions?

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on here. I have just recently lost my van because it broke down and we don't have the money to fix it. With out transportation I am stuck at home with the children. The children go wild when they are stuck inside all day. With temperatures like what we have been having in Ontario we have been inside a lot. How do you deal with the Isolation and boredom with not having other adults or different surroundings to change things up? Any one have any tips?

Euphoric !
    Well, that's why we have the forums, hehe. We get to reach out to other humans when we are feeling lonely. I get a little crazy from being housebound when it's this cold too. The windchill is scary cold right now so we won't be going outside this week either. I love going outside every day so I'm not happy about it at all.

I have lots of crafts going on this week, finger painting, playdo, dancing and singing with tambourines, games and songs and everything I can think of to wear the children out and help us all to get some exercise even though we are inside. But don't be afraid to let your daycare children freeplay while you do something you want to do once in a while, like sit back with a coffee or something. Children should know how to play independently and with their friends and shouldn't need adults to entertain them all the time.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

My daycare children have a real problem playing by them self or with others in the daycare. How do I teach them to do that. They are always calling my name to do something or they are just running around. Only until I sit with a toy they will come and sit and play.

Euphoric !
    Can you suggest they play with their friends and tell them you are busy at the moment? I find it depends on the ages of the children and their personalities. Some children love to play alone and some love to play with others and then there are the ones who constantly want adult attention. They are a special challenge.

If you constantly hear 'look at this' or 'look at me' ask them to show a friend or talk to a friend while you are busy. Sometimes there are the children who 'tattle' and 'narrate' the entire day. I've had that child in care and she was a really really special challenge, but over time she learned that she was here to play with the other children. Patience and consistency are important on your part to teach the children anything. You can do it!

I make sure there are a good variety of toys available for play and I make sure they are always safe and in my line of vision but I don't entertain them every minute of the day. I actually ask the parents to help their children learn at home that it's ok to play by themselves and that the parents don't have to be at their beck and call nonstop.

I think the parents appreciate having someone else validate their guilt that they can't spend every minute of the evening with their children and it's ok to spend a little time getting dinner ready without being nagged if they set their child up with something to interest them. But I tend to have great, overprotective parents in care. If I felt I had a parent who was neglecting their child and the child needed more attention instead of less I wouldn't give out that advice.

If they are running around then play ring around the rosie and dance with music and shaker toys, stomp like elephants, be small like ants, slide like snakes, hop like frogs, and so on. WEAR THEM OUT!

You have to know the personalities of all involved before you give out any advice in our business. These are just a few of the things I've learned over the years. Hope I helped you out just a little bit.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

It has very much! I have only been doing this for a year and half and I find it challenging. To keep their interests with toys i have and to have them play by them selves. Indoor days are the worst. Thank you again for all your advice I really appreciate it.

Euphoric !
    Because you have been used to going out a lot they will need to be taught to stay at home. Limit the amount of toys available but still enough there is no need to wait around. Select a toy each day as your focus toys ex. blocks, or the garage and cars, or stacking cups. Then as a group look at ways to play with that toy. You will need to be involved - basically you are teaching them to play. Gradually as their interest increases, step back and let them play.

If you think about what they were doing when they were at playgroup it is entirely possible they were simply flitting from activitiy to activity to take it all in and not really engaging with any toy for very long - hence the how to actually play lessons.

Break up the morning so that you have them play for awhile then do an activity as a group - read a story, colour, playdough then let them play again and then do another group activity. When they become better at playing you will be able to leave them for longer periods of play and can do your group things together such as read a story and then colour a picture but for now break up the day. It will be good for all of you since you will only have short periods of time you won't be needed too.

Also play some quiet things to give everyone a noise break but also let them be noisy and active and get rid of pent up energy they would have used coming and going to playgroup - music for dancing, just basic exercises with a game such as simon says, an indoor obstacle course.

Euphoric !
    I don't travel with my children at all. I live in the country with no neighbours so kids have to learn to play with each other..... No choice.... I have four free standing pantries with doors on them and that's where I have all my toys. I put child locks on the doors and each day I open a different door .... It's a great form of toy rotation. If you have some bins or something you could pack some of the toys away and switch them up a couple times a week. That way they don't get bored. Also just keep telling them to go play. Or get out a bin if duplo and ask them to build you a castle or tower .... Put them at the table strapped in booster seats with play doh or sensory bins..... How about using masking tape and making a car track around your play room. ... That's a few ideas

Outgoing
    yeah, it's tough if that's what they're used to. Free play is so important to them...and to YOU! Teaching a child to self-soothe to sleep and to play independantly are their best gifts....and ours.

But, when they're not used to it, I don't really know what you can do.

I'm guessing they'll get used to it. Tell them they have toys, they have eachother....have fun. I mean, of course in between circle time, craft time, snack time....little things to kill time! It really doesn't take much.