Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Let Her Stay in Bed?

I am transitioning a new daycare baby. She is almost 15 months old, and is having a rough go of it. This is her second full day, and she has cried pretty much non stop. This morning, she was pointing to my upstairs, where the dck's nap. I said to her, "you want to go ni-night?" She nodded her head and said, "ya".

I took her upstairs, crying, and as soon as I lay her down in the pack and play, she rolled over and stopped crying. I went downstairs and checked her about 15 mins later and she was asleep.

That was two hours ago. I just heard her chatting to herself but not crying. I went into the room and spoke to her in a soft and pleasant voice, and she started crying again. So I left, and stood outside the closed door. She stopped crying again.

I am assuming she's just overwhelmed. Should I leave her? If yes, for how long? Is this counterproductive, or is she trying to get her bearings? I haven't encountered a situation quite like this before, so I'm at a loss.

It's maybe important to note that she is fairly sick. A new house, a new situation and she has a terrible cold.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated.

Should she go back home if she's that sick. Its hard enough when they are not sick, then trying to cope with a new surrounding without mommy or daddy on top of that ?? Bit too much for her. Coming lunch time will she eats ?? then afternoon naptime will she sleep ??

I did have that situation last year ... I think it was the first day... yes it was, well I called the parents to pick up.

Outgoing
    Yeah. I can't even remember who it was or when it was, but I do remember having one that just wanted to be up in their playpen, sleeping or not. They just needed their space. The only fear is that it interrupts with afternoon naps, which of course is sacred to us!

I know at one point, I moved the playpen to the playroom, so he/she was still in their "safe place", but gradually transitioning into being with the group. I placed it where I could see them, but not right with us at first, then slowly they joined the group at some point.

Good luck. Poor little thing. It's so hard on these babies. They just want their mommy!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gcj For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    ooooh....I missed the sick part. Yeah, sick is bad on a normal kid, nevermind a transitioning kid. Yeah, maybe just too sick to be there!

I understand that she might be just too sick to be here, but her mom just started her new job this week, and baby doesn't have a fever. I feel terrible for making her leave work under those circumstances. I am hoping it's transition more than sick.

We shall see if she eats and goes down this afternoon.

After she wakes, I will try the playpen in the daycare room.

If she has a fever I would call the parents for pick up. Otherwise I would let her be. She is trying to cope and her bed feels like a safe place for her. Check on her continously offering smiles, soft voice and reassuring words. Poor tyke is not feeling well and not up to her new situation and dealing with cold. If she is making sounds like she wants up then get her up again giving her lots of cuddles and attention. Feed her as you do everyone else and then put her down for nap at usual time. Keep checking to make sure her cold symptoms do not worsen. Good luck

I know its hard for parents to leave job, especially when new job :O is there a dad ?? Anyhow the playpen in the playroom is best idea, but after few days, I wouldnt let her sleep whenever ! Here its all open basement and naptime is in playroom so she would be in playpen in playroom with others.

If she cries the whole time because she is not alone, well then its endure or call parents to give me a break really... even give HER a break !

apples and bananas
    I understand the sick, sick or not, I'd still keep her. With no fever and moms first week at work it's best to just give her lots of cuddles.

Shes doing the opposite of some kids, some kids scream through their nap on their first few weeks not request one.

I would be inclined to leave her. Since she's sick anyways and could probably use the rest. I have days where I'd just like to curl up in bed and ignore everyone, maybe she's haveing the same kind of day.

I say enjoy it while she does it! Pop in every once in a while, but if she's happy, she's happy.

Maybe try a pack and play on the main floor, maybe she just feels safe in it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

She's up. She was crying, but I gave her some chili and crackers (early lunch because she was in bed for snack). She's alternating crying and eating. She will NOT accept cuddles from me. LOL

I feel so badly for her.

She's now in the pack and play down here with me. She's not interested in being held or cuddled, or read to, or sung to, or played with. I put some toys in the playpen with her, and she touched them for a few minutes, and went right back to wailing.

The other dck's are in bed. She's keeping everyone awake.