Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crazy

Expansive...

Crazy

I have a child in my care that I have been watching for 2 years. She is now 6, for the past 2 years I have tried everything to get her to eat. I swear it has been an extremely difficult task. I finally gave up last year and have just let her come to me when she is hungry, I only offer healthy choices. Some days all she will eat is youghrt and a banana.

Today she asked me why do I eat lunch anyway? She told me at home they only eat dinner and breakfast?

Her parents has been telling me to do my best to get her to eat and they don't even feed her lunch?

My DD has been there for dinner and she told me all she had was pasta with butter, no veggies, no protein?

I have been so stressed trying to feed this child and this info makes me so mad.

At least I know I have done my best and that's all can do.

You can't control what is being offered at home or when. Continue to offer her meals at lunch time however if she refuses then just do what you have been doing by giving her nutricious food as snacks.

apples and bananas
    You're doing everything right. I would do the same. There are tons of parents that stick kids in daycare so they eat healthy during the day and they don't have to at night. I've had clients say taht to me in interviews " i need to make sure you're serving healthy foods because we're not that great at home" LoL

Euphoric !
    I would have her sit with the others for every meal and give her a really small portion of everything you are serving so if she doesn't eat you don't have much going in the garbage. But all the rules are for all the children at my daycare.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    You can't control what is being offered at home or when. Continue to offer her meals at lunch time however if she refuses then just do what you have been doing by giving her nutricious food as snacks.
    Exactly this.
    I would not be feeding her in between meals and snacks. The rules are not different for her. If she is hungry, she will eat. I am not going to get into a battle of wills over mac'n'cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    I would have her sit with the others for every meal and give her a really small portion of everything you are serving so if she doesn't eat you don't have much going in the garbage. But all the rules are for all the children at my daycare.
    Totally agree. DO NOT STRESS over this. Even if she eats nothing in a day you have done your job and offered healthy food choices. I stress in my original handbook my food philosophy so parents know this from the get go. Also don't fall for the trap of feeding her extra portions of the snack time foods that every kid will eat for every meal if they had the choice (cracker, fruit, cheese, yogurt etc.) to compensate for her not eating what you offered at lunch. IMO some kids very early on make what they choose to put in their mouth a control thing/power struggle. I counteract this by gently encouraging them to at least try a bite & offer dessert (home made/healthy cookie/granola bar, fruit etc) as a reward for those who eat all and if they refuse I just shrug it off and in the garbage it (I only start with tiny portions too) goes.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

For me 'nutrition' is the same as my sleep philosophy ~ I am passionate about instilling healthy habits in children around both these high stress issues for adults and I provide an environment that supports both healthy eating and sleep ~ however ultimately I do not CARE if they sleep just that I provided an environment conducive TO sleeping for each child in my care ~ if they choose just to rest during that quiet time period than I am willing to accept that they must not be tired and as long as they are respectful and quiet while resting doesn't bother me in the least if they fail to nap ~ I did MY job in ensuring they had access to sleep .... same with meal time!

I honestly do not CARE if a child eats or not as it is not something within my control ... I provide access to a wide variety of healthy options at 3 hour intervals for the children ... they are expected to come and sit at the table and keep their peers company in a pleasant respectful manner and to choose how much if anything they eat off their plate while sitting there ~ my only food item I limit to one serving is the GRAIN portion of a meal to avoid the child who always tries to fill up on that they all get one small serving of grain and need to eat the other things on their plate before seconds of it is provided if they ask for more of the grain I just calmly explain that you still have many healthy food options to choose from if you are 'hungry' because if they were TRULY hungry they would eat what was put in front of them like it or not ... cause we all know that the 2 year olds in Ethiopia are not turning their nose up at the stuff their mamas are able to find for them to eat ... picky eater syndrome is a first world BEHAVIOR that exists because adults cater to unfounded fear that their child will 'starve' if they miss a meal or two
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi