Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Tricky Situation I need advice on wording.

Hey Everyone,

Here is the background story of this challenging child and the situation.

I have had a child in my care that is almost 5 years old who has been with me since he was 3, so almost 2 years. He has been a very big challenge for me. I have had to almost kick him out many times for hurting other and my self. The dck has a really hard time playing with others and by him self. The only thing that has been keeping the dck here is that the parents are tied to my family. Lesson learned don't mix friends with business. Anyways, My current situation. The dck is pt right now and I have another pt child and they both want the summer full-time spot. I want to try and convenience this family that it's a better idea for their child to go to summer camp. He is going to school full-time in September. He is so bored here and I think it would be a better situation for everyone. How do I word it without being rude or unfair. Am I just stuck until September?

Thanks in advance!

Well since they both want the space and you only have room for the ONE and have to choose you could take the passive aggressive approach and pretend to flip a proverbial coin and just let the 'troublesome' client know that it came up tails on them and the other client got the space

Is the OTHER family currently sharing the space going to school in Fall too or are they returning next year cause that would make it easier to say 'I have decided for consistency sake to offer X client the summer spot as they will be returning in the Fall since Johnny is heading to school. Enrolling him in some summer camps and other things would be a nice transition for him for September ?

Either way would just be honest and let them know that because you have two clients in a shared space and both cannot be there over the summer that you have reflected on the needs of the over all group and chose the 'other' client. I would not give them too much 'rationale' as to why unless they pushed at me and than I would likely say 'well to be honest the other child is just a better match to the group as he does not 'XYZ' that your child does and while it was tolerable on a part time basis cause the kids got a break from that behavior I just believe that perhaps he would do better in a summer camp or other setting full time over the summer with children all his own age and more resilient to dealing with some of his behaviors'
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Thank you and yes both children are going to school in September full-time. The challenging child has a sibling here that is full-time and is only 2 they will here for a while. I try and be fair and said they need to let me know by the first of February what their decision is. If they both want summer care they'd need to share is what I have said to be fair. I try my best to be fair to all but sometimes that bites me in the bum for sure. My rates are even going up in June so I have informed them of that as well.

Oh if the younger sibling is staying in care that makes it harder for sure ~ you could argue that having the older child in daycare camp will give them the summer to get use to 'two drop offs' and get their routine all worked out before the 'time crunch' of being to school on time
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Good call. Is an email a good way to communicate that? hahaha I want to say something about maybe its a good idea for him to be around children his own age. But I'm not sure if that's appropriate or not.

i would personally speak with the family and hand them a letter. This way they can't say they never got it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    i would personally speak with the family and hand them a letter. This way they can't say they never got it.
    This is my preference ~ email is awesome for the little things but anything big always in person with a letter backing up exactly what I said for 'the record'
    Loris Malaguzzi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Great ladies! Thank you very much!