Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Am I nuts for doing this?

I have been talking via email with a mom looking for care.
    She lives out of town and is having her mother (Grandmother) do the daycare interviews. She will be moving here next month.

I informed the mom that I would meet with her mother, but before I could make a finial decision I would have to meet with her and her child. She said that she could arrange a trip to town but not until the beginning of Feb.

My husband and my parents think I am nuts for doing this and should just find another family.

But there is this little voice telling me to meet with the grandmother. Something about the whole thing just seems right.

Would you do this?

Outgoing
    I would meet with the grandmother, but I would not sign them on until I met with the parents and child first. If you and the grandmother hit it off, theres a good chance the parents and child will be a good fit.

Sure I would meet with Grandma and give her the tour. I would also state that you are advertising this space and if another suitable client appears they may be considered for the spot. In other words, Mom/child should make the trip to meet you soon.

Outgoing
    I require 3 interviews with the parents before starting I would not consider doing any of them with Grandma alone. Grandma could attend the first interview as a get to know you but I would not allow her to attend the second and the third interview.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

I too, would be more than happy to meet with the grandmother, she just wants to check you out for the mother to make sure your not a psycho and a good fit for her grandchild. BUT, before anything further you need to meet the Mother and the child. The Grandmother coull be great and the Mother could be a nut job...you are not doing business with the grandmother you will be working directly with the child and the Mother, so make your decision based on that meeting. the meeting with the grandmother is for the other sides opinion not yours. hope they are all great people

Don't worry the grandmother can not sign my contract. The only people who can sign it are those who have custody of the child. I also will not have a contract signed unless I meet with the parents and child.

I am thinking about letting the grandmother sign a holding fee contract and pay the fee for a week or two, that states I can not sign on anyone until after I have meet with the mom and child, but I can still interview. And of cause the fee will be non-refundable and just to hold the spot.

is this a good or bad idea?

not really sure if I would do anything without meeting the family and child. What if you took the holding fee and had someone great show up at your door step for care the very next day but had to inform this person in the flesh that you are holding a spot for someone youve never met. I wouldn't take anything until meeting them face to face.

I HATE doing in person interviewing so would have no interest in doing it more than needed ~ I do a phone interview to determine if we are a 'basic match' and than I do one interview with the WHOLE family to confirm we are a match .... and by family I mean the children who will be attending and the adults who will be doing regular drop offs and pick ups and are part of the decision making process for choosing me or not ... if grandma was going to be part of the regular drop off and pick up than sure she can come along otherwise there is no need.

Personally I always keep advertising and interviewing until someone has signed a contract ~ so while I would allow the mother to book a interview at their earliest convenience I would make it clear that the first person to 'commit' will get the spot so if you are truly interested in securing daycare than arrange to get to town ASAP and tour some programs and commit to one but I would not be interviewing the grandma or making any commitments to them with a holding contract without meeting the ACTUAL clients cause there are just too many ways that can backfire!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

not really sure if I would do anything without meeting the family and child. What if you took the holding fee and had someone great show up at your door step for care the very next day but had to inform this person in the flesh that you are holding a spot for someone youve never met. I wouldn't take anything until meeting them face to face.
    Personally I always keep advertising and interviewing until someone has signed a contract ~ so while I would allow the mother to book a interview at their earliest convenience I would make it clear that the first person to 'commit' will get the spot so if you are truly interested in securing daycare than arrange to get to town ASAP and tour some programs and commit to one but I would not be interviewing the grandma or making any commitments to them with a holding contract without meeting the ACTUAL clients cause there are just too many ways that can backfire!
    good points.

Its not like my phone is ringing off the hook, but hopefully that will change soon.

If they really want the spot they will find a way to get here next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    ....Its not like my phone is ringing off the hook, but hopefully that will change soon.....
    There is no reason THEY need to know that ~ send the impression you are in demand and before you know it you WILL be in demand!

IMO it is the same concept as why so many people covet diamonds ~ the industry creates the illusion that they are 'rare' and 'you are lucky to have one' and therefore people see great value in them and will save and scrimp and do what they need to do to get one when in reality the average person cannot tell the difference between a diamond and cubic zerconia .... same with why people are willing to spend a 1000 a ticket to see a 'famous performer' and would walk right past that same performer in the subway because they do not 'value' the street musician the same way because he is not 'in demand' like the famous dude ~ and they actually did a research project on that recently

You are just as good as a diamond or the famous musician and there is nothing wrong with letting people KNOW that by marketing yourself as such
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi