Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    So I sent out some advertisements for my new daycare and already have one response. I have a few questions for the pros.

1) How do you determine if this is a client contacting you (via email) vs another provider? Does this effect how you answer the email anyways?
    2) When someone emails you and just asks price and number of spaces (as this person did which made me wonder) how do you suggest a phone conversation to discuss the details or do you just respond via email? I intentionally did not advertise my phone number as I had read in here that you will get blasted with calls. So clients can either contact me via email or contact form on my website. I have just changed my contact form that they have to provide their number.
    3)When doing just b&a, I am confused how this works during march break and PD days. Do they still get charged the b&a fee as I am open even if they opt to not have their kid with me for the full day or at all during that time? (I know that I will charge them more if they are with me for the whole day.

Thanks!
    1)What is making you think it's another provider? What is it that's bothering you about the email? I would respond as if you are talking to parents until proven otherwise. This would not have even crossed my mind in normal circumstances but if they said something that tipped them off them don't answer them.
    2) I like to respond by email because phone calls are not convenient for me but I will call them back if necessary. It's on my website and that's also how I get most of my contacts. So they have already familiarized themselves with most of my basic info.
    3) I don't do b/a care.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

....What are people's opinion on this?
    I agree that you do not want to be seen as a 'newbie' by advertizing for FIVE spaces all at the same time.

When I was new my 'spaces available' page on my website just stated that the program follows the rules for private home childcare and therefore I care for up to a maximum of 5 children at any one time between the ages of 0-6 years of age. Than under 'current openings' I just listed 'we currently interviewing for a full time space with a start date of X' ... this was the truth because I staggered my entry and was only ever looking to fill one spot every 2-3 weeks apart so when I filled that one spot I went back and changed the 'start date' to couple weeks after Under 'Waiting List' I had if you are interested in going on my waiting list for a future space please fill out the 'contact me form' and this allowed me to get contact info for people who wanted care the following month or what not.

For me I HATE the time we have to spend interviewing on our evening time ~ specially investing all that time and than having a client say 'really love your program however it is not within my budget' so my website is full of photos and a virtual tour of my program to 'sell them' on it before they even contact me and than put my prices and all my financial policies around vacation and so forth clearly on my website to weed out those who cannot afford my fees or do not have enough back up care for the time I take off and so forth ... this has helped me over the years reduce the number of clients who actually take up my evening time to 2-3 before I can find a match and fill a space .... I have no interest in interviewing a dozen or more potential clients for each space that opens cause that is adding a full 'week' of overtime every time a space comes up ...4-6 hours is plenty!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    So I should clarify that the information is not on my website (price and spaces). I left it off because I am a new provider and from what I have been reading here, parentings seeing that I have 5 spaces does not usually go over well and this can be seen as a red flag. I also did not put up my prices as I had read in a few posts that fees should be discussed in person to allow them to fall in love with the program, the space, me and to tell them if they inquire but not to advertise it. What are people's opinion on this?
    You're right about advertising that you have A SPACE and not giving away that you have multiple spaces available. I do have my prices on my website though but not all my policies or contract details because those are things I like to discuss at the interview in person so I can explain my reasoning for adding the different policies.

Remember that we all run our daycares differently and no two people have the same exact contract because we all have to adapt to our own situations and what we feel most comfortable with in our homes. Just take everyone's advice and take the bits and pieces that will work for you. Never feel that one of us has the perfect answer for you because we all do things differently. Wishing you luck in sorting out what you need from all our threads!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.