Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

So I pulled the trigger- need responses ASAP

So I sent out some advertisements for my new daycare and already have one response. I have a few questions for the pros.

1) How do you determine if this is a client contacting you (via email) vs another provider? Does this effect how you answer the email anyways?
    2) When someone emails you and just asks price and number of spaces (as this person did which made me wonder) how do you suggest a phone conversation to discuss the details or do you just respond via email? I intentionally did not advertise my phone number as I had read in here that you will get blasted with calls. So clients can either contact me via email or contact form on my website. I have just changed my contact form that they have to provide their number.
    3)When doing just b&a, I am confused how this works during march break and PD days. Do they still get charged the b&a fee as I am open even if they opt to not have their kid with me for the full day or at all during that time? (I know that I will charge them more if they are with me for the whole day.

Thanks!

I always just assume it is an actual potential client (vs. other daycare provider) and answer all questions truthfully. I don't consider anything to be something I need to keep from other providers. I then suggest a phone interview, at their convenience (during my daycare nap time usually) to answer any more in depth questions (then book an in person visit provided I feel they will be a good fit). Can't help you with before & after as I don't offer that. Good luck to you!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

yep answer the same no matter what, if they ask your rates tell them, if they want a meeting set it up! as far as before after, that is up to how you set the contract, if I were you I would set it up so the parent has a min due each week regardless of whether they attend full or not, and of course if you have room for days off school for the child to attend a full day, you would charge more. Good Luck!

Euphoric !
    I also assume it is a parent, but if they just asked fees and spaces, I would direct them to my website for more information and ask them to call me after reviewing the information on my website. I don't answer the million and one questions some parents ask in emails...I direct them to my site...if that doesn't answer the question, I can answer it over the phone.

Outgoing
    I always assume its a parent and answer accordingly. I answer their questions and then give my phone # and request they give me a call to discuss further. I only have one b&a child and they come for all pd days and during the summer. If he does not come for some reason, his parents are still required to pay if I am open

Euphoric !
    1) How do you determine if this is a client contacting you (via email) vs another provider? Does this effect how you answer the email anyways?

I don't know if you can really tell. I will answer honestly, because I don't have anything to hide with my pricing, etc. As long as the email seems genuine, and not spammy or scammy.

2) When someone emails you and just asks price and number of spaces (as this person did which made me wonder) how do you suggest a phone conversation to discuss the details or do you just respond via email?
    If the email was literally just "how much and how many", I would respond with questions of my own. What age are the children, what hours are they looking for, etc. No response to that, and it probably was another provider being snoopy, if you ask me.
    I stopped advertising my phone number as well. I would prefer now to have a couple of email communications first. I keep an open mind, because as we know, you lose a lot in terms of tonality, etc electronically. But it does help weed out some of the crazies. (ie: I expect you to watch my child from 6-6, rock them to sleep, provide a raw-food diet and NEVER EVER tell me that it was my child's fault. LoL)

3) Do they still get charged the b&a fee as I am open even if they opt to not have their kid with me for the full day or at all during that time?
    I am not currently doing B/A, and I know that the "norm" is pretty varied. I charge a flat monthly fee for B/A that covers the daily. On top of that I have an extra charge for full day care (basically just covers the additional food). Admittedly, I do not "include" the full days, because I don't mind at all if parents make alternate arrangements for those days. In the summer, parents pay the regular full time fee.

Euphoric !
    Thank you! My plan was to answer as if it is a client but I had just caught a "fishy" vibe. After reading your responses I am going to charge a weekly fee and add an additional fee if they attend for the full day during a PD day. This seems to be the best route as then I won't be out money for a PD day either and if they find alternative arrangements that is fine with me too.

My advertizements always end with 'please take a moment to look over my website for more information ~ if there is anything not covered on their that you would like clarification on please give me a shout. If you read over my website and feel we would be a match for service I look forward to hearing from you to arrange an interview'.

So when someone sends me an email that asks something GLARINGLY OBVIOUS on my ad or website like how much do you charge and how many spaces do you have I know they are not SERIOUS about being a match to my program because they have just shown they cannot follow simple instructions how are we possibly going to work together?

And yes I am aware that comes across as rude but I seriously do not want clients who are not invested enough in finding childcare to do a little research ~ I would reply to an email like that with a professional but short "thank you for your interest in my program ~ the information you are seeking can be found HERE (insert my website with direct link to fees or spaces). If after looking over the website you feel we are a match for service feel free to give me a shout to discuss arranging for an interview.'

Seriously if you are looking for a new vehicle you do not call around asking dealerships 1000's of questions like 'do you have a blue car with XYZ features' and wasting their valuable time ~ you go online and look at their websites which is why they HAVE THEM to see which vehicles they have that you are looking for, which are in your price range and than make arrangements to go see only the ones who have what you are looking for in person .... why are WE expected to be treated any different?

As for B&A care ~ I do not offer this myself but YES if I am open they are required to pay for the space if their use it or not!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    So I should clarify that the information is not on my website (price and spaces). I left it off because I am a new provider and from what I have been reading here, parentings seeing that I have 5 spaces does not usually go over well and this can be seen as a red flag. I also did not put up my prices as I had read in a few posts that fees should be discussed in person to allow them to fall in love with the program, the space, me and to tell them if they inquire but not to advertise it. What are people's opinion on this?

Euphoric !
    parenting=parents (oops)