Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    ....Any ideas how I can get the "king at home" to use the potty?
    IME pottying training issues are the same as picky eater food issues .... the more 'concerned' the adults are around the child not doing what the adult thinks they should the more CONTROL/POWER the child feels they have and the more hoops they will try to make the adults jump through to see what they can 'get' from them ... there are very few things most children have control over in their life and what goes into their body and what comes out are TWO major ones they can control .... the reality is unless you want it to get really UGLY you cannot force a child to eat or use the toilet ... they have to be motivated by hunger to eat food they do not 'like' and they have to be motivated to use the 'potty' because it has more benefits to than going in the diaper!

Basically you need to find a way to motivate him to want to do it without him thinking you want it MORE than HE does .... you have to stop the power struggle that is being created between home and program and if the parents are not on board with it you are fighting a loosing battle cause they will consistent undo anything you are trying to do each night and every weekend

I personally do not try to train a child who is not motivated because I do not have any interest in power struggles over training ... IME when children are motivated and truly developmentally ready they will basically train themselves with very few accidents or stress on anyone's part ... sometimes it happens before they are 2 and sometimes not until they are just about to start school and sometimes anywhere in between those ages .... but it is always 'easy' and that is the way it should be!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    But I don't even bother with potty training until they have reached the point AT HOME where they understand the concept and know what is happening and actually go in the potty and tell me when they have to go as I said. I'm way too busy to waste my time. I have 5 children to care for, not 1. I'm still flabbergasted by the kid patting the Mom on the head part. My jaw is on the floor after that story.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it sucks somewhat for me as a few of my parents feel I should be doing it.
    I have mostly 2 year olds, I sent home a potty training guide on how to train in under a week. One Mom said she tried and her dd wasn't interested, she said her dd screamed the whole time on the potty so she stopped. The Dad told me the real story he said that after 2 accidents on the carpet Mom called it quits. This is my point why should I make an effort if the parents don't even want to try. All I ask my parents to do is dedicate 4 to 5 full days then I will be on board to assist. One of my Mom's did this in the Summer and we got her DD accident free in 3 weeks. Yes we had a few accidents but we did it together.

We are way to busy to do this solely, any parent that feels otherwise is just downright selfish.
    Last edited by Skysue; 01-25-2013 at 08:31 PM.