Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Before my son started kindergarten, he and his sister used to go to bed around 8 or 8:30 (and sleep until 8am), so we ate at around 6:30 or so. NOw that he is in school and not really napping, he pretty much needs to be in bed by 7pm...some night as early as 6:45 because he is so tired...and it will show the next day in his behaviour if he doesn't get that sleep. That said, if your daughter is sleeping her full 11 hours and not showing signs of being tired...and you are enjoying this schedule...well, I wouldn't worry about it! Do what works for you!

Euphoric !
    When my children were small I always worked in an office job and the second I got home from work they bombarded me with 'we're starving!!!' so we always ate right away, around 5 - 5:30 and then it was off to all the different activities, sports, scouts/guides, etc. I always had them into bed by 9ish. Now that my children are grown I eat my dinner as soon as the dckids are all picked up at around 4:45.

It's really funny when I go spend a vacation with my oldest daughter and her family of 6 because they eat around 6:30-7pm and since they are in B.C. that's 10pm my time.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    Now that it is just hubby and me and Brianne at home we eat during the evening news and curl up around the tv to do it - even though the table is in the end of the same room but I tend to have stuff on it like it was an extension of my desk/office. But I enjoy curling up and being comfortable for often the first time in the day and hubby buses to work and often stands for the 45 minutes home so he likes the cushy chair too. So here between 6-7pm to eat.

When the kids were home it varied from 5 - 7 depending on who had what activity with sometimes there being and early siting and a late sitting with a snack available at the you didnt' get a meal at either a tide me over till they got back to eat or a snack cause they ate early.

Euphoric !
    Our timetable isn' set in stone. We usually eat any where from 5:00-6:00. The girls have a bath at 7:30 and then we read and tuck in. Usually asleep by 8:30 on the weeknights. While I settle the girls, the boys do their night time clean up/ shower, etc. Then I read a chapter with them, and they are in bed by 9:00 at the latest. I actually wouldn't mind getting all the kiddos down about a half hour earlier, and probably will do when we start our "early open" daycare hours. It's tricky some nights with hockey, dance, etc.
    I think if it works for you and your kids, then who cares?? As long as everyone is getting enough sleep, then do it the way you want. But for me, a 4 oclock supper is tooooo early!

Euphoric !
    It is a very British thing to have "teatime" as in a big snack right after work and then to have a later sit down dinner. Hubby comes home starving and has toast or a sandwich - doesn't take much to eat at work for lunch so yes he is hungry but not ready for a meal mentally just wants to sit and relax from the day a bit.

What I like is having the last child leave and then still having time to cook supper without them underfoot.

But like anyone with kids knows you fit food in where it can be. Hubby doesn't get home till 6 on Mondays and leaves for choir at 6 on Tuesday so those meals vary. A crockpot works so well in case he is later on Monday I can still eat.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    It is a very British thing to have "teatime" as in a big snack right after work and then to have a later sit down dinner.
    Teatime is not in addition to Dinner time in England. Tea time IS Dinner time. It's just different terminology. In fact for me and everyone I know in England, being English myself, There are three meals a day. Breakfast, Dinner and Tea so I think it's just different terminology like I said. The wording "Tea time" originally comes from "afternoon tea" where way way way back in the day, like my grandparents generation, and probably on special occasions for my parents growing up with their traditions, they would have a cup of tea and a scone. But dinner time was typically at 6 and afternoon tea was anywhere from 2-4pm. Its also like something called "elevensies" a mid morning snack to put you on to lunch. In this day and age obviously this is different for everybody, but generally afternoon tea doesnt strictly exsist for english folk in recent generations. It's only for tourists or for those who watch WAY to much british tv and are miss informed lol. Its like English Muffins...I didn't see them for sale in the grocery store till I moved to north america and I would only see them in England at McDonalds with a sausage pattie and phoney egg on it.

Rather than eating dinner and putting kids to bed at certain times based on pressure from others opinions, it needs to be a decision each parent makes based on whats healthiest for their child and every child is different.

Starting to feel at home...
    My daughter is 10 months and I try to get her to bed b/w 6:30 and 7:30 (sometimes 8), she eats around 5:30 -6 and depending on us, we'll eat with her or after,,, I think you're the normal one!

Euphoric !
    That sounds more like adopting the Canadian way. When we visited England/Scotland - guess it was 30 years ago now the norm for everyone was to have "tea" when they got home from work which was sandwiches, cheeses, deli meats, cookies and tea. Then the hostess went to prepare dinner which was served 1-2 hours later. Even restaurants served tea from 2-4 - ie afternoon snack. Dinner was from 6pm on.

apples and bananas
    Dinner at 5:30 ( I close at 5pm ) Then bedtime is 7:30, that way they are in bed by 7:45. My oldest (9) reads until 8 and my youngest right to sleep (5)

Outgoing
    We do dinner around 5/530. Ds goes to bed around 7/715 ( he is 17 months) and dd (who is 4) goes to bed at 8. I like this routine because it gives me and my hubby the rest of the evening together