Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

I'm starting to feel like I'm not normal?

What time do you and your families eat dinner?

For me it's 6-6:30 and sometimes as late as 7pm. My DD goes to bed 9/9:30 She's 5.

People I'm my neighborhood eat at 4pm and kids in bed by 7pm. Am I not the norm?

Do you live in a retirement villa? Seriously my GRANDPARENTS ate at 4pm cause that is when they offer the 'seniors discount' in restaurants

I cannot imagine having dinner at 4pm ... are your 'evening extra curricular' things for children being held at a 'normal dinner hour' in your community cause I know some sports or dance things I see in our flyers that come out can be at 5:30 pm on families and I always wondered 'when do you feed your kid than'?

I personally think 7pm is the ideal bedtime for children because depending on their age they should be getting at least 11-12 hours of sleep at 'night' right up into 10 years or so and than napping during the day if they need more like 12-14 for the under 6 year olds... so going to bed at 7pm means they would be waking up ideally between 6-7am and well with most working parents schedule that should ideally give them to to get up, have breakfast, get dressed and to work without 'stress' of rushing them.

We eat dinner at 5:15ish cause we often have extra curricular things we engage in to get to for 6:30.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    My youngest is 7 and she goes to bed at 7:30 on school days and 8 - 8:30 on weekends. We have supper between 5:45 - 6:30. My 12 year old goes to bed at 9:30 on school nights and 11 on weekends. Is your 5 year old in kindergarten? I personaly think 9-9:30 is late for a 5 year old but that's just me.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Expansive...
    LOL no I don't live in a retirement complex.

My DD is in school and on those nights she pretty much crashes at 7:30/8:00pm the other nights she sleeps in till 8am. Ever since she was a baby she would always sleep a full 11 hours no matter what time she would go to bed. The odd time on the weekend she has gotten up at 7am but usually she's up at 8am.

Starting to feel at home...
    We eat anywhere between 5:30 pm and 7 pm. I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old and they go to bed anywhere between 8:15 pm and 9:15 pm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mommyof2princesses For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Thanks mommyof2princesses you give me hope. Lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

This is 2013, the only true normal these days is whatever is right for you and your family. Eat dinner at whatever time you like, and if the kids are getting enough sleep then don't worry about it. Just enjoy the time you have together and don't worry about what others are doing.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We generally eat at 515-530 during the week. If my son has early hockey then we eat earlier. On weekends we eat later. During the week I like to have my kids in bed between 8 and 830..... My 8 yr old however for some reason does not need a lot of sleep and he is still awake reading at 10:30....he gets up on his own at 7:30. My in laws all eat at 4 o'clock and its seriously annoying. My sister in law puts her 11 yr old kid to bed at 7.... Needless to say its a big bone of contention for holiday dinners cause they all want to eat early and my youngest naps till 4.
    As far as I'm concerned most working people don't get home from work till at least 4:30-5 so unless you had your crock pot on all day there is no way your eating till 530 and that's if it's leftovers or something quick. No I don't believe for working families that eating at 4 is normal

Outgoing
    As a good friend of mine says "Normal is a setting on the dryer". In other words, do what works for you and yours as long as everyone is healthy and happy.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My girls eat by 5/5:30 and are in bed by 7/7:30pm. They get their sleep and I get my evening. Works for all of us. They are 1 and almost 3 yrs old.