Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    Nope, 11 hours is way too long for me. Parents forget sometimes that we don't get coffee breaks or lunch breaks, sometimes not even bathroom breaks! :P
    When I first opened, I was kind of railroaded into taking a child half an hour earlier than I officially opened. I said sure, and didn't even charge extra (how nice was I? lol)
    These same parents then showed up late consistently, rarely paid fees on time, and so on. I am not saying that all parents who ask you for a break in some way are like that, but it is a warning sign for me. I could not wait for this family to leave!
    Many parents in my area arrange for mom to drop off and dad to pick up, or something like that. Why would you WANT your child in care for so long, anyway? Ugh. I couldn't stomach that idea. Hey, I think I am a great provider, but I wouldn't want my kids under someone else's care for that length of time everyday!! Not to mention, what happens in the dead of winter? When mom's commute takes twice as long due to weather? That means a 12 or more hour day for you!! NO WAY.

Like Judy, I don't negotiate - AT ALL. I don't change my hours - 7:30-5 p.m. Hell I would love to work 8-5, but in my area, if you want clients, you need to open 7-7:30 (for those parents who are traveling into Ottawa).

I don't negotiate hours OR Price. This is MY business, and I do what I need to do.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post
    Why should YOU negotiate?? Seriously?? Why is it always US, the providers, who are supposed to get the short end of the stick??

This is CHILD care.....really, do you really want to haggle with the person who CARES FOR YOUR CHILD??? That always astounds me to levels I can not even articulate.

My other thought is this...........if a parent is working an 11 hour day then they certainly are earning a salary that warrants an eleven hour day. So WHY should YOU not earn a salary that warrants an 11 hour day too??

CONTRACTS ARE NOT NEGOTIABLE. PERIOD.

While I agree on the whole- I do believe there are some exceptions. My spouse for example was a fireman and he worked crazy hours-- but was paid a pittance.
    ---
    I do not believe that an across the board answer is always right. Shades of gray.. there always are shades of gray.

If I had a childcare provider who was not willing to take circumstances in to consideration I- as a parent- would be unwilling to work her.

Starting to feel at home...
    Hey wow, lots of answers!!!

Really great to see how you would yourselves react!

As per myself, I really do not mind to accomodate people and start earlier. 6h30 is a little bit too early though! But if she would pay for that, I might be interested.

What scares me the most into getting into a work relationship with this mom is the feeling that she will always be negotiating, finding it too much, she's already discussing the prices, already asking to discuss her next maternity, already not wanting to pay her vacation (which is like 5 weeks a year)...etc...

Conclusion: Why would I start with someone that I would always feel like begging for what is due to me??? And in a negotiation, there should be a good part for me and for her. But now she's negotiating only for her. I didn't ask anything for me!

Sarah

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    Sarah. I am also in quebec, so I know where you are coming from.
    I think you are doing the right this by not negotiating personally. When things start off like that , where do you draw the line ?

My contact is very black and white . Nothing is negotiable.
    I value my family time and am not willing to work 1 min past my 10 hrs.
    That being said, I know if some providers who have no problem being flexible with their hrs.

I am , however will never be one of them .

Keep us posted

Euphoric !
    Wonder how that mom would feel if she suddenly took off for her 5 weeks of vacation and didn't pay and you filled her space while she was gone assuming since she hadn't paid that she had abandoned the contract.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Wonder how that mom would feel if she suddenly took off for her 5 weeks of vacation and didn't pay and you filled her space while she was gone assuming since she hadn't paid that she had abandoned the contract.
    HAHAHA where is the " like " button when you need one !

Hahaha!

Yeah I imagine her coming back from vacation NOT having a daycare!

Would be harder for her then just pating for care!

I have had people try to change my hours or fees. I set the boundary that my fees and hours are not negotiable. If they complained or tried to convince me of why my boundaries are somehow flawed, I politely wished them well in their search for care.

I have just re-opened after moving and a bit of a break. My hours are 730-5. I have had a lot of inquiries from shift workers like nurses, and I've decided that if they request a 630 start it's okay with me as long as they understand that I charge $10/hr extra after 4pm. So they pay for the same number of hours as the later starters. If they need later then they pay for it. I'm not just extending hours for nothing.That's not fair to me or the other parents who stick to my posted hours!
    After reading another string about part time kids, I also decided that if the schedule is erratic because parents works shifts then their fee is $50/day. A lot of time they will only be coming for 10-12 days per month so that helps cover the days I may not be able to fill. So I charge $40/day for 5 days, and ten dollars more for less than 5 days. I think I'm okay with that....for now.