Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red Flag #1....

Euphoric !

Red Flag #1....

When your email inquiry is 3 paragraphs of you "selling" your child to me. I mean,
    So-and-so is a delightful, caring and funny child. She is very smart and sweet. She plays well with others, and on her own. She is potty trained, except for certain times. She blah blah blah blah blah.

Honestly, 3 paragraphs!! And then proceeded to name a price that she was willing to pay (uh, you don't decide that?!?) and tell me that essentially, they are looking for care at the drop of a hat because dad never knows when he will be going to work. Not to mention the fact that I happen to know for sure that they were looking for care within the last year, because she already emailed me previously. Why are you switching again?

I know these are all little things, but we have been talking about trusting your gut. So I did. A polite email was sent saying "Sorry, no spaces available!"

I love the "she is potty trained except for certain times" ..................th en she is not potty trained.
    With the previous inquiry and all the "selling features" and telling you what she would pay, I would politely decline as well. Good gut reaction!

My guess is that she is experiencing that many providers are not willing to do 'flex on demand care' long term which is likely why she finds herself continuing to have to seek new care arrangements ~ she might be willing to find a new provider who is willing to 'try it' until they get enough clientele to realize that it is costing them too much money and they decide if they are going to be working all day they would prefer to be doing it with a 'full income' verses reduced one.

I would pass on that for the flex care alone ~ not in my business model at the moment and when the time comes I would like to work 'part time' I think I would still prefer to arrange to have a full house when open but arrange my enrollment so I only work 3-4 days a week in total!

However as for the 'selling' paragraphs ~ I have an almost 3 year old child who I too would define as potty trained expect at certain times (ie not consistently at nap or overnight or if getting sick which results in the odd accidents) and I think many clients think if they sell us on their child's endearing qualities we might look past the 'con' of the flex care or wonky schedule they need ... I often get emails like this when I have a clear 'ideal age' that a child must be for the space and they are trying to convince me that their child is 'independent' even though they are only just turning one years old and would I consider them even when my ad clearly states I am looking for a two year old ... doesn't matter who 'gifted' your baby is I only take two children under two sorry!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Mominalberta, I always ask parents to tell me about their families in the pre-screening and of course everyone thinks their child is special and wonderful. That's normal. But she quoted you the price? Ummmmmm, NO! Then with the rest of the nonsense that followed, you definitely made the right call on that one.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    Yeah, if it had been just the "my kid is awesome" spiel... I could have looked past. But everything added up, equaled a no-thank-you.

Outgoing
    She wants drop in care for a cheap price. That's all the email really says. She knows the drill of going thru one provider after another and has tried to come up with other things to talk about before she goes in for the kill. I would just tell her that you love drop ins and that the rate is a full time rate and she can either drop in within your hours you offer or she can keep the kid home with Dad. If the kid is that awesome, Daddy won't want to miss a minute with her even if they are paying for a full time slot. It will be great for your business to just have the kid now and then and get full pay.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Shy
    Good for you for being both professional and knowing when to trust your intuition.