Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Baby that won't sleep!!

Okay this is my first day with a little 14 month old boy. He is a really big boy he is bigger than my three year old boy I have here and the parents want me to
    Put him in my baby swing to fall asleep. He doesn't fit, surprise surprise. They want me to rock him to sleep. I can't do that. I don't have the time. I think he should be able to lay down and go to sleep. I don't know what to do.. What do I tell the parents?? Should I let him cry it out? My max for letting any of the other kids cry is 15 min.. Should I try this with him? Ughh I just don't want to piss anyone off. But I really don't want to make my
    Day harder either.. Any advice?

Euphoric !
    Generally I give the patents a list of things to do to get their child ready for group care..... Top of the list is to self soothe ..... No rocking, no singing, no swings....actually I don't even have one and they are not safe for a child over 20 lbs.... So I put children in bed and walk away. You need to have a discussion with the parents (this is some thing that I do when the contract is signed ) and let them know they need to stop rocking at home and he needs to learn to go to sleep on his own. Make sure he is dry full and tired.

Well I just put him down and he fell sleep. He cried for 10 min. I'm goin to talk to the mom when she comes today.

Oh no! First thing is he has to learn to sleep on his own. The parents need to be on board with this and understand that you have X amount of children you are caring for and you can't leave them to rock someone else to sleep. I let the kids cry it out. I will check on them every 10-15 minutes to make sure they have a clean diaper still and have their sleeping aids still (didn't throw them out of the playpen). I then lie them back down and say it's time to sleep. I keep doing this every 10-15 minutes until they are asleep. Sometimes morning naps can be hit and miss, so I'm not as strict with the child sleeping in the morning. If they aren't asleep after 30 minutes in the morning, I will let them stay up until the afternoon nap at 1pm. But ALL children must sleep/rest in the afternoon. It will get better! He will eventually get used to your routine and it will be smooth sailing.

Euphoric !
    Once I put them in I never go back. I have found that with the children in my care that does not help and it only escalates the crying. They learn that as long as they cry you will keep coming back. It works for some kids I guess but not in my experience.
    But if you put him down and he cried for 10 mins and went to sleep then that's terrific. Don't let him sleep too long or you might night get an aft nap out of him or a really short one. I like my kids to sleep 2.5-3 hours in the aft so I'm careful with am naps.
    Good luck

Euphoric !
    Yeah, you need to let parents know you cannot rock or put a child in a swing (at that age???!) to get them to sleep. It is best if you tell them this in the interview so they are not surprised later. But if you did not, you can at least tell them now. They need to work on it at home too. Put him down awake and let him cry if necessary.

Thanks everyone

i feel you! I have the same problem with a 15MO... good luck!

Expansive...
    I'm the same as everyone else here! I even ask in the interview if they rock etc. and tell them that will not happen here!

Euphoric !
    What is with parents putting ONE YEAR OLDS into swings??? I know my kids all outgrew them by the time that they could sit up on their own. They didn't want any part of the swing anymore!