Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

DCB digging into his diaper

I have a 2.5yr old DCB that has for the past couple of weeks started to reach into his diaper and explore. Everytime I have seen him do this, I guide him to the bathroom to wash his hands. I've caught him doing this several times a day...each time..remind him that we don't do this at daycare. I had a meeting with DCM and told her that this is happening several times a day and that each time he is disrupting the curriculum or group activity so that I may take him to wash his hands.
    Her response..."yeah, he does it all the time at home, on the couch, while watching TV, whilst being read to...I was going to ask you if he does it here?" Um...YES and it's getting to be a big habit.

I told her that starting Monday he will need to arrive at daycare in a onesie. She just asked if she could bring extra wipes for his hands!! I told her that toddlers and touching their bums and genitals is a great recipe for e-coli outbreak or at the very least...a gastro outbreak within my daycare and my own family and that she should consider doing this at home as well! Not to mention the ick factor. Everyone kid here puts something or other in their mouth. Really...don't think they need your son's bum sweat all over the toys!!

Well...today comes and DCD pleads that he could not find any onesies for a 2.5 yr old. Really?? Cause I have a 2 yr old that wears size 3 or 4 and he's ALWAYS in a onesie.

If he starts digging again then they are getting a phone call for a pick up

Tough one..perfectly natural for them to do...but ewwww
    My son went through a stage & with constant reminders stopped within a month or so (it was right around potty learning time...so without diaper, of course easy access/new sensations).
    I too could not find onesies for him (he's tall), but overalls (or zip up pj's for the day) worked.
    I can't lie that every time I enter my naptime poopers nap rooms I fear the dreaded exploring hands...but fortunately not yet (hope I haven't jinxed it).
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    I would definitely insist on a onesie as well. Or sleepers would work too. What a pain to always have to go wash hands.

apples and bananas
    Oh Man! That's a bad start to a monday morning. YUCK!! I know there are providers out there that would send the child back to get one on, but I just can't bring myself to it. I would send a letter home tonight as a warning. Dear .... as discussed on "date" little johnny will only be accepted into care when wearing a onsie. Due to health risks blah blah blah. refusal to co operate may end in termination of care without notice. "

That will get their attention. And also send the message that you're serious. Our main job is safety and if you continue to allow that you are failing at keeping the rest of the kids safe and healthy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Till they co operate with the onsie, put him in one of your childs.

I would mimi, but my girls are way smaller then DCB. And...my girls do not wear onesies.

I would also request that they please do their best at home to follow through as well. although it is fairly natural for a child to explore (out of 50+ kids over the years I have had a few) it is still a bad habit to develope and really not something they need to nurture at home, he should be corrected when caught doing this at home or in your home....as you are doing, and if they can't work with you or help support your concerns with a onsie, then termination should be considered. What will you do when he begins potty training in a few months? perhaps that is his issue? maybe he can feel the "need" to pee and it makes a little tickle? perhaps he needs to go to the potty when caught with hands down pants? he is at the age I would be training, if not earlier.

Euphoric !
    He's not itching, is he? No rash, or unusual poops?? Just want to rule out a yeasty-type infection (which, being ladies, you may know is VERY uncomfortable)
    In any case, I agree that although this is "normal" behaviour, it still needs to be corralled and even stopped. Ick, what if he comes out with a mittfull of yuckies. Actually, scratch that... he is pulling a handfull of yuckies out every time. You just can't SEE them.
    Either he wears clothing that limits his ability to do this, or he goes back home. That would be my stance. If it means one-piece jammies, so be it!!

Euphoric !
    At minimum he can be put into overalls making it harder to get to the diaper and those are available for any age.

You will have some success putting on a tshirt that is way big over his clothes - sort of like putting him in a dress. When he is sitting he will then be sitting on the shirt and it is harder to get it up high enough to get the hands in - at least it buys you some time.

A real pain for diaper changing since you need to totally remove everything but once had a child who was such a problem that we put a girl's bathing suit on him - served the purpose of a onsie and again all sizes available and if necessary get one second hand yourself and put it on him over his clothes as soon as he arrives.

Outgoing
    It is difficult to find onesies in larger sizes. I know Gerber did a run of size three and four maybe two years ago but I haven't looked for them since. To get them cheaply is another thing alltogether. A lot of websites will say they have them but when you go to put them in the cart and check out they say out of inventory.

You don't need that anyway. Buy him a pair of footed jammies that is one size too big for him and put them on him backwards. You don't have to cut off the feet... just turn the feet forward and put them in the way you normally do. Do both feet then put the arms on and then zipper up the back. He would just live in a pair of backwards jammies while he was in my house. I can take a picture of a kid in one today to show you and put it on my Facebook page if you would like to see how EASY it is. If he wants to do it badly enough a onesie won't deter him. It's just a couple of inches down to the thigh seam of a onesie. He will be able to easily go down the side and lift up the butt cheek of the onesie. It will be a bit more work than going down the back of the pants but he'll easily get to the target area with little effort. The only way I would use is onesie is OVER his clothes meaning over his shirt and over his pants. I've still had kids that can get to themselves thru the side with that but it's much harder. If you do that trick put the onesie on backwards too so the snaps are in the back. Footed jammie trick works way better.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer