Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Outgoing
    You are all so right. Its my business and my new livlihood. I need to get my stuff together and have all my parents sign a contract, and to the ones that I already have on board, their rates will not change until Jan 2012. And i will provide them many months notice. Here on out, any new kids I take will have an increased SET RATE and a signed contract!! Thanks everybody!

Euphoric !
    Atta girl! And don't feel bad, like I said earlier; one of the trickiest parts of this business is figuring this all out, on the fly. On a side note, exactly what Spixie typed up is how I would say it!!

Quote Originally Posted by KingstonMom View Post

I can just hear Judy (justthebabysitter) scolding me now for what I have gotten myself into!!
    Any and all input is more than welcome!! Thank you so much!

Ah, live and learn.

I see providers all the time advertise on Kijiji offering fees far lower than experienced providers. There is a reason the experienced providers have the fees they do - because they understand the COST of running a daycare and the responsibilities that go along with it.

You are not alone. If I had a dollar for every provider who started out like you despite my nice contact to them via email off their Kijiji ads telling them their rates are too low I could quit daycare and buy myself a nice island in the Caribbean!

Here's the thing - now you know what NOT to do. You can't change the past but you CAN change the future.

I would write up a contract and hand it to EVERY parent. Include your fees (that are INCREASED) and that they pay for ALL stats, civics, THEIR sick days etc etc. And you hand it to them with a nice little cover letter that states (in a professional manner) that they are to sign and return the contract by a specific date and failure to do so implies that they do not agree with the new terms and you have the right to fill their spot.

The intent of the cover letter is to imply that the new terms are NOT negotiable.

Now, there WILL be other providers (and parents) who are gonna come on here (I have not read the entire thread) and say that you can't do this. That YOU are now changing the rules. Well, you ARE changing the rules - that's what being SELF-employed means. Furthermore, when you operate without a contract there are essentially NO rules. Now you are making some.

Also, parents research the daycare market when they first seek out care. They are fully aware there are providers out there (most) who operate with contracts, late fees, paid stats and civics etc etc. But instead parents (in your case and other low-balled fees and lax policy providers) CHOSE to go with you and your lack of contract etc. Sorry, but when you chose a low fee OVER experience and a contract then this is what you get - a change down the road you might not be happy with.

Contracts are GOOD things. They protect the provider AND the parent. My contracts all renew for every family on Jan 1st of every year. And I expect every parent to abide by the contract for that period - as do I!

Type up a contract and send it out. Just do it.

You WILL likely lose a client or two. But you have to remember that the reason you attracted them in the first place was because they wanted a lax provider who didn't have a clue or a backbone to ensure they followed their end of the bargain. So, if you can not afford to lose someone financially, advertise, fill the spot with a new family UNDER YOUR NEW CONTRACT and then give notice.

If you need any help you know where to find me.
    Last edited by Judy Trickett; 06-08-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Expansive...
    Judy- good point!

Your business= your rules

I would totally start a contract sooner than later but wait to raise rates for your current clients (if you take on any more kids- I would charge them a higher fee)

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    We all make mistakes and like almost everyone has said it isn't too late to start making changes.

It took me a long time to develop a contract / handbook that works well for me. Our handbooks and contracts develop over time as our needs and wants from our business changes.

I am always leary on making changes for current families because you always run the risk of them walking away. However, with that being said, putting the verbal agreement you have into writing is a great idea. Also include clauses for increasing your fees, termination clauses so that your families need to give you notice, etc. There are many of us that can help you develop a contract that will work for you.

For future families, charge the rate you would like from the beginning, make the changes that you would like, etc.

Your daycare business will grow as your learn and grow, there will be hiccups along the way, keep your head high. As far as making mistakes, even after 16 years of home daycare I still make mistakes. Some times silly ones that I shake my head over
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

Outgoing
    I have amended my contract quite a few times in the last 18 years. If there is something that I feel isn't working I just type out an amendment and give it to the parents. I have never had anyone leave because if it either.

Expansive...
    If any of your current clients complain about the contract say are you looking for "Cheap Daycare" or "Quality Care" becuase thats what I provide! Good Luck!
    Last edited by Skysue; 06-16-2011 at 10:38 PM.