Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Terminating p/t kids for f/t?

Am I terrible for terminating a part time sibling group for a full time sibling group? I took on two part timers while my previous full time dcb was at home with his mom and new baby sister. Now the previous client is asking if they would be able to send both kids full time in the fall when she goes back to work. I just started with these part timers in October, and advised them at the time that I may have to let them go depending on numbers and if previous kids came back after maternity leaves ended later this year. I feel bad, but would much rather have the full time income, since part timers are basically just as much work but not as much income! I like both groups of kids, so the decision is tough.....what would be really nice is if I could drop my one dcg who is a crier who doesn't play with other kids, just follows me around all day...but, I have no real reason to terminate her other than her personality is a bit too dramatic for my tastes! Secretly hoping that her mom will get pregnant with baby #2 soon

If they knew going into the relationship that there was a possibility that you could not accommodate them long term and were ok with that, so it was an informed decision to choose something that might be 'short term' verses seeking out someone willing to make the long term commitment to them .... than no IMO you are not terrible for than following through with that possibility ... I have done the same thing with part time clients in the past ~ their written contract stated that

"Full time enrollments have preference and priority over part time.The aforementioned part time schedule currently works because there is someone able to share the opposite spot and provide the full time income. However part time clients accept that if enrollment changes and there is no one to share the opposite spot their option would be to take the full time spot to keep service going or give up the part time spot to any interested full time client."

This way my ass is covered ~ I would advertize for someone to fill the opposite spot as well as a option for full time and if I found a full time person FIRST than they would have to choose to pay full time or give up the spot ... if the chose to take the full time I would keep advertizing for someone to share it in interest of fairness to them to get them back to only paying for what they need but I am not willing to forgo income on a client unless there is a HUGE benefit to me for doing so (aka I want a lighter load for a while or what not and the decision is mine to make not that I feel 'obligated' or what not).
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

apples and bananas
    I'd have to weight the finances. I probably wouldn't term unless I needed to fill those spaces with ft financially.

Outgoing
    If they havent done anything to warrant, terming, I dont think I could do it. However, you have to do whats best for your business.

I should clarify that like many of my policies while I have the policy to cover my butt should I need to do such a thing financially I have never terminated a part time client ... my first year starting out I had NINE part time clients and only my nephew was full time .... fortunately over the next few years as clients moved or had babies I had several of those initial clients who opted to move up to full time when the options came available for them until I had all full time clients ... which I so very much prefer and currently have turned away a couple part time bits in favor of holding out for the full time option but my 5th space is a 'bonus' space in my budget so I can afford to be picky with it!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    What parents need to understand is that sometimes we take things on like a part time spot and we have every intention of doing it long term but things change and its not fun to terminate for things like that but we have to do it. Dont feel bad terminating if you need the full time income. If parents needed to find cheaper daycare for financial reasons they would do it.

Euphoric !
    I guess it depends... If I had made it VERY clear that the position may only be temporary, and that if/when the other family returns, the p/t position may not be available anymore ... then maybe. I would still feel pretty badly about it, though.
    Is the previous family returning, FOR SURE? We all know that it's easy enough for them to say they are coming back, but when it comes down to it, they could change their mind. I would get some firm details hammered out, first. I have a family coming back that I thought/assumed would be full time again. Turns out they only want to do 2 days per week. It's ok, because I wasn't "counting" on them being full time. But still...

Euphoric !
    Eoinsmom, I know for a fact that if any of those families had to give you two week's notice because they had to make a change in their life they would do it without feeling guilty. So why should you feel guilty to give one of them a two week notice to make a change in your business?

I believe in being loyal to my clients and keeping my commitments too but I have to make a living, I have to be happy with my life and pay my bills and my business decisions are nothing personal. I hope that helps you a bit.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Thanks all, We had discussed the position as temporary from the get go. This second family who wants to come back is still "thinking about it", and wouldn't be back until September, so I havent even brought it up with the part time family yet. I've asked them to decide in the next month so I can let my other family know if/when I need to terminate with them. In all honesty, I'd love to get rid of all my partime kids (out of my group, I have 1 full time and 6 part time) and just get back to full time again. There was just a stretch where everyone left to have their second babies and all that was out there was parents looking for part time care in my neighborhood. My son starts Kindergarten in the fall, and I am anticipating that this is going to add a whole new level of crazy to my day, so I'd really like to simplify as much as I can. Anyhow, I was just looking for some ideas/feedback as I've never run into have too many people interested in staying on at the same time! I terminated my two part time school age boys already this year, as it was just too hard to work their schedule into the rest of our day with toddlers and preschoolers, and they were constantly complaining and disrupting the rest of the kids. I felt bad, but also relief - 8 year olds mixed in with a 1-4 year old group was just not meshing well. They had started with me when they were five, but imo they have just aged out of my program.

Also, my family who wants to return had never given me a definite "yes" when they left, so that is why I went ahead with filling spots. They did keep sending their older son 1-3 times a week over the last six months of mat leave, on a casual basis. The issue is that they were living in my neighborhood but moved over the summer. Over the last few months they have hinted at maybe wanting to send both kids in September, but no definite yes or no. When I asked last week when E's last day would be, mom said 'oh I thought by sending him a few days a week we were guaranteeing spots'. Lesson learned here, always disscuss return clients and get it in writing!