Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overnight care

Outgoing

Overnight care

I had a parent ask me if I would be willing to look after her child overnight. This would be a one time, special circumstance situation. I told her I wouldn't mind at all. This child is actually the only child in my care I would do it for. My problem is I don't know what to charge. For a split second I thought of doing it as a favor but then gave my head a shake! They have offered to pay quite a substantial amount but I feel it is a bit high.
    Has anybody done overnight care and what have you charged? The total time would be about 12 hours, which he will more than likely be sleeping for most of it.

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't know where you are from, but personnally, I think even if sleeping, this is overnight and it has to be paid extra. Just like overnight employees are always being paid an extra to work overnight shifts!

My rate is 50$ a day, in my area, and for overnight, I personnally would charge 70-80$ (depending what time the kid will leave in the morning, if you'll provide breakfast, etc....)

My sleep is worth a lot of money! What if the kid wakes up all night, is sick, misses mommy, has a nighmare, and so on????

Sarah

Euphoric !
    I would not even know what to charge... I am thinking double the usual daily amount? Time and a half, at least. Like Sarah mentioned, overnight employees make 1.5 to 2 times the day shift, most of the time.

I agree with the $70 to $80 dollar amount. Think of what a sitter would cost for that amount of time. Don't feel badly - if they want you to do it, they will pay it. I am sure they'd rather have their child with someone who is with them all the time than a teenaged babysitter, right?

how much have they offered to pay, by the way??? I'm curious ))

Don't know if I would ever do that. If I did, I would have given them my nanny rate, which is $16/hour. Don't sell yourself too short, like an above poster noted, what if they woke up during the night, crying for mommy/daddy? Think of what teenagers make nowadays to babysit! In my area, they're making $11/hour!

I have done overnight care for some time under contract and independantly, absolutely should be paid more whether it is only 10 hours or not.... any time after 6 or before 6/7am should be charged more... and for overnight you will be the one up with the child it is your sleep that will be disturbed, or assorted other things that happen during the night. To know someone will answer the calls and reassure a child keeping them comfy and safe... well base rate would be under 10 hours and s/b $70.00 after that set an hourly rate you are comfortable with. There is very little availability of providers for this type of care so that should be considered when you set your price.

I've done it before but more as a favour then anything now we trade overnight(sleepovers ). I take her kids one night and she takes mine one night. Only you know what the special one time circumstance is so I'd probably base my opnion on that. Its really up to you.