Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Frugal Fun for Babies

This entertained the babies in my care for a good 20mins!! Anyone else have some good frugal fun for babies? I love sensory buckets but can't think of ones to let the babies in my care dig into with the toddlers! I was thinking cotton balls, but those might be a choking hazard for babies if inhaled?
    Attached Images

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaycareLady For This Useful Post:

Love your idea! Some others that have worked for me: Bowls & a whisk, put a blank piece of paper in a zip lock bag with some drops of paint inside & tape it down...mess free painting, stacking anything (cartons, empty boxes) & knocking it down, paper to tear (wrapping paper!), pillows and blankets all over the floor or as a fort over to climb through, a cookie sheet with some magnets and all my babies love picture books...they get so proud of themselves when they can point to 'car' , for example. I could so go on and on.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    Great ideas thanks sooo much. Not sure if I should mention this, but that is MY child in the pic, I would never post pictures of a daycare child hehe

Outgoing
    I like simple ideas for fun activities.

apples and bananas
    I love the paper in a bag with paint idea, what a great idea! Thanks,

Euphoric !
    Definitely no cotton balls with infants OR toddlers. Yup, total choking hazard. Try making some pom poms instead. They're super easy to make and you can pack them up and reuse them another time. We did a 'Winter Woollies' theme for a month in my daycare. For 1 week, I had multi coloured pom poms I'd made in the sensory bin. Then a week with cheap wool hats and 2 weeks with cheap/old mittens and gloves. It was great!!! The Dollar Store will carry those items which can be used year to year. Get hats, mitts with different knits for the changes in texture, appearance and weight. In the fall we did gourds, which was very popular. Brushes are good as well...soft bristled baby brush, make up brushes, paint brush, nail brush. If you're feeling really ambitious, you could make little 'pillows' of different scents of potpourri, teas, etc. Make sure they're double or triple lined to avoid tears and little bits coming out. Smelly sensory bins are fun! Plus, you can change up the fabrics to add in tactile changes.

There are a few ideas I've used that have worked well.

Euphoric !
    Wipes boxes are awesome for little ones to put things into and dump them out too...and quite durable. I do pom poms under close supervision, or hotwheels or Little People,etc. They all love it. Cardboard boxes to climb in and out of are great too. Or a laundry basket. Tons of things...but I am too tired to think right now!